Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah or Happy Holidays 2020

Just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah or Happy Holidays and I hope everyone is getting lots of maker goodies as presents.

:christmas_tree:Please share your favorite maker gift :christmas_tree: :smiley:

4 Likes

Yes Happy Holidays to all and a much better new year :)!

3 Likes

My top maker gift is my first 3D printer, a Geeetech A10. :smiley:

3 Likes

My young nephew’s favorite wooden toy truck lost a wheel and the axle peg hole has gotten worn out. I turned a new wheel and a screw-in steel axle for it to run on in the truck from a maple blank and a piece of 5/8" CRS. M4 screw and a wide M4 washer to hold it in place. A little clearance to run loose.

I broke my rule not to turn wood on my metal lathe in order to turn the wheel; I cut a ~2.25" blank from ¾" maple using a hole saw, then turned it to size using hand chisels (not turning knives that I don’t own) on the mini lathe. I can see how turning wood could be addictive. I do not need another hobby right now! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I cannot wait to see your first print.

4 Likes

I just had to go and admit to that, didn’t I? Today I did it again! Got a request for #11 double-ended knitting needles in a variety of lengths, in wood of course.

Turned down to about 8mm thickness with a brass turning knife, then hand-turned the tapers with a chisel; finished with 220 grit followed by 400 grid sandpaper.

After the various lengths get tried out, I fully expect an order for 2-4 more of these. At least now I know the drill and can turn them out pretty quickly.

The only question here is: Was the maker gift me making the needles, or the recipient requesting that I make them? :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Both, as a maker it is a gift to be asked to make something. You could argue that if it’s a complicated thing to make that it’s a curse, but you will most likely learn something in the making which is a gift in itself. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A very Happy New Year to all, it’s gotta be better than this one, right? Wishing the best for everybody.

3 Likes