Marc Schönfleisch  work on his wheels gave me alittle inspiration to try the same

@Marc_Schonfleisch work on his wheels gave me alittle inspiration to try the same method on my printed v-groove wheels today.

While the motion is much smoother now after filing the groove it’s pretty clear to me that I will have to try the same operation using some sort of jig to get a consistent roundness to the wheels.

To the naked eye the wheels look nice and round, and while it is quite enough for many applications they are simply not circular enough to roll effortlessly on a solid surface. It was expected but still fun to try :slight_smile:

nice manual solution but i suppose big issue are fix strong square pipe at 45° just think any solution?

@Mauro_Manco right now these are very early prototype carriages mainly to test out the possibility for printed wheels, but the idea is to use these types of rails on a cubic printer.

The idea I have is that these types of rails will not be part of the outer frame. The next printer I build will definately be fully enclosed with panels on all sides which means that the linear rails will have to be separate from the frame. Printed brackets supporting these rails in 45 degree position, mounted to the frame should work. In theory :wink:

Can the roundness of the groove be done by having the wheel on a shaft in the drill and pressing a triangular file into the groove? You can even use another square alu tubing with some fine sandpaper wrapped around it.

@Florian_Ford it didn’t work well for me when free handing. Pressure varies too much. I would say that a jig is needed to get a constant diameter all around the wheel.

Yes it seems so in this case. A bolt pushing the file should be enough (in the said jig that is).

On the other hand why not naked bearings on the corner? Do they wear the aluminum tube?