Making a flat table for a router

(Michael K Johnson) #1

I have parts for a 1000x1500mm OX that I’ll be putting together.

I’d be interested in reading different experiences folks have had making nice flat tables as good references.

I’m used to leveling my lathe with a master precision level to the limits of its precision, and I do expect similarly to level the router table as well as make it flat. That part I’m not worried about. But I’d like to hear options and experiences, good and bad, for a sufficiently flat table for a router of this size.

2 Likes
(Don Kleinschnitz Jr.) #2

This shows what I am using:

Planned on leveling this surface but to date have not had to do so for the kind of work that I do.
I have a surfacing bit but to date not used it. That said I can imagine this is not accurate enough to engrave PCB’s but for most of my woodworking its fine and simple…

(Michael K Johnson) #3

I’ll use an MDF spoiler board. But I’m thinking of the table the router sits on. :slight_smile:

(Anthony Bolgar) #4

I use a plywood torsion box on my OX. I actually have the rails attached to the sides of the box so I did not need any cross pieces.

2 Likes
(Don Kleinschnitz Jr.) #5

The top is not exactly a torsion box but it is reinforced and have had no problems.

1 Like
(Michael K Johnson) #6

@donkjr regarding specifically making the top surface flat, the summary is 3/4" MDF, on dimensional lumber planed flat, right?

1 Like
(Don Kleinschnitz Jr.) #7

Yes, I used 3/4 mdf on top of rails that were planed. Then made sure the assembled upper frame was flat and square.

2 Likes
(James Rivera) #8

Just curious, what do you plan on cutting with it? If only wood, then you’re probably fine. If I had to do it again, I’d probably go with a screw driven system instead of belts.

(Michael K Johnson) #9

@James_Rivera Primarily wood, some light aluminum work (like, cutting it forward). Heavier metal work goes on a mill.