Lots of debate on this subject right now.

So…is that your prediction for “someday”?
That most people will rely on centralized print services?

As you say, postage etc is cost prohibitive, we are on the bottom of the planet in isolation, either that or we do it ourselves. Australians are lazy. They prefer to take things elsewhere if they can.

Postage inside a continent and certanly inside a country is okay. The waiting time is a considerabe factor. Especially if you design and improve iteratively.
Even with large parts I sometimes do 3-5 design iterations in a single night to make something perfect.
If needed printing only a slice of the object or with 10% infill just to check how things fit before doing the real object.

Waiting time is a factor yes, but it is something that we have had to live with here since the countries inception!

Must be the british influence. …they love to queue. :wink:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! No, that’s why we are a pack of juvenile pranksters. Boredom does that to you.

I see. I though that was normal prison behavior. :wink:

Precisely!

I can definitely see a home market for 3d printing, especially for small scale stuff that might be appropriate for a hobbyist, diyer or to print out small scale conceptual models. I mean if I want a graphical representation of a design I’m working on I think a scale down accurate plastic model would be better than staring at a 3d computer rendering, especially if you’re touchy feely like me. And the cost of buying and maintaining a 3d printer small enough to do this is only going to go down.

However 3d printing will only get more technologically advanced with time, allowing the printing of bigger (and smaller) designs with higher degree of accuracy and a greater range of materials. There will always be a top model too expensive to own at home. There will always be a model too large to keep at home even if price were not an issue and so there will be an industry centered around printing for clients.

10 years ago we wouldn’t dream of a plastic 3d printer in the home. Now, I am already planning how to build a metal one. I disagree, the dynamics have changed. You can buy any circuitry, you can make any boards by getting components, you can build anything. No longer is it the providence of the big wealthy companies and their monopolies.

Sure, but not everyone will be willing to buid their own. Obviously with time metal printers will be cheap enough for anyone to buy off the shelf without needing to plan to build their own, but I imagine with time we’ll have 3d printers large enough to print some very very big things that won’t fit in most peoples homes.

People already pay a lot of money for things they could do themselves if they had the gumption and/or know how. There are businesses which still make a living from printing paper after all.