Looking for help from anyone running a webcam on their Replicape.

Looking for help from anyone running a webcam on their Replicape.
Mine works fine by default with the Umikaze flash with this listed in the line “http://kamikaze.local:8080/?action=stream

It works fine on my wired Ethernet desktop, I see the webcam image just fine. But I can’t see the stream on my tablet or phone. I also can’t see it from my remote session while outside my network on another desktop computer. I can control my printer just fine, just no webcam feed.

I thought maybe the kamikaze.local part was messing it up so I tried something like this “http://127.0.0.1:8080/?action=stream” Using the IP of my Octoprint (not the example I listed). When I try it this way I lose the webcam feature all together? No errors show up, just no picture?

I know the IP is correct because I have it set as a fixed IP address and it is how I log into Octoprint.

Anyone else run into this?

So you need to point the webcam feed using the IP address within octoprint for it to work on machines which can’t resolve kamikaze.local. It’s basically a DNS/port forwarding issue to access it from outside your network.

I run a Fritzbox modem with a dyn-dns like service. So what I did is I setup port forwarding for port 80 for Octoprint, and for port 8080 for the mjpg-streamer video.

My entries are basically :
external-dns:80 -> beagleboneIP:80
external-dns:8080 -> beagleboneIP:8080

and if you can access the external DNS name from within your network, you can actually set the webcam URL in octoprint to be
http://external-dns:8080/?action=stream

This has worked for me and I’m able to see the webcam in OctoPrint from outside my network.

@Jon_Charnas , Thank you. I will try it that way.

I use a DNS service so I should be able to do what you are suggesting.

Question, My Octoprint is set to port 5000 (internally) and I feed it out through port 80 on my router. So would I use these 2 lines instead?
external-dns:5000 -> beagleboneIP:80 (for Octoprint)
external-dns:8080 -> beagleboneIP:8080 (for webcam)

No, I’d assume it would be
external-dns:80 -> beagleboneIP:5000 if that’s what you want to do. However I think the Beaglebone redirects automatically and internally from port 80 to 5000, so try it with a redirect from 80:80. Unless you’re using port 5000 externally.

OK Thanks for the explanation…

@Tim_Curtis did you get it working? I’m curious

Haven’t gotten home to try yet. I’ll let you know by the morning USA east coast.

@Jon_Charnas I haven’t gotten it working yet. But its a problem with my router. Port forwarding works for Octoprint, I just have to get the web stream part working. I’ll update when I get it working in case anyone else is using a comcast internet router.

The problem is my router only lets me pick the device I want to port forward. It doesn’t let me specify the device port that I want to forward out. Meaning I can only pick my BBB to port forward. I can’t pick 10.0.X.X:5000 or 10.0.X.X:8080. There isn’t any place to type in the port to read from? I’m contacting Comcast to see what they say.

I wish I could help, but in this case, yeah, you need to talk to Comcast. I’m using a FritzBox modem myself, but I live in Switzerland. And from what I remember of my time in the US, Comcast is notorious (among others) for making their appliances basically as useless as they can.