Looking for feedback on upcoming work coordinate system layer change UI.

Looking for feedback on upcoming work coordinate system layer change UI. Most folks, including myself, don’t use work coordinate systems. I think the reason is no CNC control software helps the user understand what they are. Does this potential UI change help you know what offset you’re in? You click the layer and ChiliPeppr will automatically send the offset command to the CNC controller.

Great idea you’re correct most folks don’t understand know how to implement the coordinate system Visual aids are quite helpful

This is a much needed addition - all too confusing a topic. A good UI would be enormously helpful. Thanks for identifying this and taking it on. You probably are already aware of this page, but if not, here’s where I tried to explain the use of coordinate systems on the TinyG wiki:

@Alden_Hart That page you have has been extremely helpful. So one question is, should I not allow the Machine layer to be selectable since you can’t really be in it, rather you’re technically always in G54? When you’re in each layer, the buttons like Zero Out will modify that layer. However, you can jog around in each layer and you’re never really jogging around in the machine layer.

Is the “+ Add” button confusing? The idea there is G55 to G59 would be hidden and as you click the “+ Add” it would reveal G56, then G57, etc. It would save in your browser settings that you’ve activated those. Each layer would have a flyout to let you type in your stored offsets. For new users, they would only see 3 layers (offsets) and it would help simplify the understanding.

Actually, G53 - machine coordinates - IS a valid Gcode move. But it’s non-modal. It only applies to the single block then it reverts to what you had before. So typically people leave G4 offsets at zero, and use G54 as a modal machine coordinate system. At least that’s the convention.

The reason for G53 being non-modal is that when you are in a stack of coordinate systems and offsets you can always send a single Gcode move to to a known coordinate. This is useful for tool changes, moving the head out of the way - that sort of thing. G28 and G30 are like that, too.

Thanks for your work. Coming from/living in the big CNC world I would add—> Don’t forget G28 resets… Any change to where ZERO is located should be implemented. Graphics are certainly needed… Happy hunting…

This would be useful. I add WCSs to the start of my jobs and the way I know they’ve taken effect is when the virtual tool head has zoomed to a new position.

This would be useful. I add WCSs to the start of my jobs and the way I know they’ve taken effect is when the virtual tool head has zoomed to a new position.

This is insanely awesome. I say this because this is a HUGELY misunderstood topic. I think @Alden_Hart has nailed this (and explained how this works to me multiple times) in tinyg. Great work (as usual John).