Looking for an easy SK6812 RGBW library for ESp8266.

Looking for an easy SK6812 RGBW library for ESp8266. Any ideas?
Can’t get it work…have been searching and testing for hours :frowning:

Normally you just use Fastled library and set it up on a pin… make sure the strip has 5V on it and make sure the 0V -> 3.3V drive signal is level shifted to 0V -> 5V drive for the strip…

FastLED doesn’t support SK6812 nor does it support ESP8266…that’s the problem :wink:

Well, I’m not sure about the LEDs, but I’m using FastLED on ESP8266 for years now. Even without a level shifter, btw.

@Thomas_Runge For SK6812?
FastLED for ESP is a hack/fork afaik. Which one do you use exactly? Could you link the git repository?

And is it suiteable for RGB only or for RGBW?

I‘m using the normal FastLED version I got from the library manager with ESP8266. Since at least autumn 2017.

Just googled the LEDs. They are RGBW and are indeed not supported. There is work in progress, but no release date.

Adafruit has a library supporting them. At least I‘ve been told so.

Yeah, the NeoPixel-RGBW version I’m running on an Arduino Nano - there it works fine. But couldn’t get it work on en ESP8266. Funnily enough I found an ESP8266 in my storage where an SK6812 was connected to (a short 5 pixel strip) up and running. But can’t remember which library I used for it. So I hassle my ESP now to get anything working. But still now idea which library it was…

There is a hack to add some RGBW support to FastLED: https://www.partsnotincluded.com/programming/fastled-rgbw-neopixels-sk6812/

Here’s another you might check out:

And Thomas is correct, FastLED works with ESP8266 and 32, but RGBW is not yet supported.

1 Like

Code for a ESP8266 controlled LED light with SK6812 RGBW. This code makes it controllable from any webbrowser, with the files hosted on the ESP8266. So no external server needed. Control via MQTT is also possible. The current LED color is persistent and survives a reboot. Maybe somebody with some experience can add some CSS code to the website to make it look somewhat nicer. For now it is very basic but functional.
You can learn more information from https://github.com/wvdv2002/ESP8266-LED-Websockets

2 Likes