Long story short: I was trying to print a straight pole vertically on my

Long story short:

I was trying to print a straight pole vertically on my print bed. I started the print, went to work, and when I came back I had this.

Belt tensions were fine, only thing I can think of is that the model came off the print bed and got dragged around by the extruder. Any other ideas as to what happened?

#epicfail

Looks about right. Print a raft under it to hold it in place.

Print a 10-15 line brim on it and it will stick to the bed nicely.

Looks like one of those firework ‘snakes’.

First, just to be safe, no unattended prints.
How many poles do you need? Printing however many and putting a small disc shape above then with the support material turned on would be pretty likely to get you a good pole after cleaning. Printing small polls or screws vertically can be a pain though due to cooling times. If you print other objects, the area will have time to cool enough for another layer to be put on it. If you do not, you may need minimum layer times in place. That is for ABS or PLA or perhaps any type of material although PLA may use a part cooling fan to speed things up.
I hope my 2 cents worth helps.

I have printed small diameter tubes but I had to slow the speed way way down to where the printer was just creeping. Otherwise it would twist it up like yours. I was printing taulman t-glase at the time. But they came out great and I was able to run wires through them.