Living in the desert with a K40 Laser

I live in the Phoenix area and just purchased a K40 laser. Currently I have it inside the house but would like to move it out to the garage. With the Summer coming around the corner I was wondering if it would be OK to have the laser in the garage where temp reach up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

Your thoughts?

Mine is in my garage and I live in Utah.
You have to protect it in the winter from freezing and in the summer you do not have the benefit of the interior air conditioning i.e. your ambient will be higher so you will have a larger cooling load.

I agree. I am more concerned with storing it more than running it.

From Reci Laser’s site

Storage and Transportation Requirement
*Pour out cooling fluid in the event of storage and transportation, and cover the output terminal with a dust-proof plastic bag. The storage environment is 2-40℃ [35.6-104F], and the requested humidity is 10-60%.

I am assuming that Reci is indicative of most Co2 lasers. So it appears storage at 120F may be a problem?

Being a native to Arizona, I know how the heat can transform your beloved items in a garage or outside.

I would not store it where it would be in direct sunlight even if it is covered. Make sure your water is cool when operating the unit. You will see decreased power if the water is too warm.

The cooler the storage, the longer life you will have out of the laser.

1 Like