Line Width for Vector Cutting Perspex/Acrylic

Is there an optimal RED line width for vector cutting acrylic shapes out of a larger sheet of Perspex? I had been using about 0.5mm but they seem rough.

What software are you using?

Inkscape and K40 whisperer

I don’t believe that in K40 whisper the vector cut line widths matter. For other software it can matter.

How thick is the Perspex? Can you provide a picture of the roughness.

Thanks my friend - that’s what I thought.I have tried various lines. I need to just do an extra 1-2 runs to cut through the perspex. It’s 3mm thick. I think before I didn’t do enough power or runs meaning that I needed to snap the cutting our, possibly leading to the rough edges :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve cut acrylic but not sure if I have ever done Perspex exactly. For 3mm acrylic I can usually cut through in a single pass at 1.3ma and 10mm/s

I thought “Perspex” was the UK typical trademark for PMMA (one of the original vendors) that ended up being used generically, much like “Plexiglass” often gets used in the US even though it’s actually a trademark…

2 Likes

Right you are, was thinking it was like polycarbonate for some reason.

1 Like

I’ve cut 5mm Acrylic, 15 ma at 4 mm/s with varying results.

Sometimes the piece falls out, other times it doesn’t cut all the way through. Ive not cut enough to narrow down the issue (its not bed levelling).

If you have a rough edge, run it over a flame (a cigarette lighter will do) - it will polish the edge nicely.

4 Likes