Lens upgrade

Can you post some pictures of your setup?

You can see the home position is very near the rail, likewise the lens is half over the air vent, I had to take the rail off altogether at the front to accommodate the beam buddy.

I initially cut my exhaust using a dremel. The first link shows that.

After a day or two, I removed it entirely and replaced it with one that I custom fabricated.

2 Likes

So I can cut the slot back 5cm / a couple of inches and have clearance there? It manages to suck the air when it is cutting at the front of the case so might be OK?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s one of the first things I did to mine too. Chop the air intake back to somewhere behind the gantry. Cover up your lens and mirrors first so you don’t get too much debris on them.

And at the front I’ve never really paid attention but I must never actually reach the stops on the Y axis rails, I just consider my bed size to end before the head hits that rail across the bottom.

2 Likes

Yes, that is fine. You won’t actually get any extra cutting space by removing it (well, you might since your head is over the duct). I didn’t add any cutting area but I can fit bigger material in, so there’s that. Plus, the exhaust flow was greatly improved.

3 Likes

I just took a look at yours, largely different than mine. The hood over the bed looks the same, but I think mine is welded in (edit: scratch that,mine is bolted. But it looks like a hassle to remove with the gantry in the way), and it came with a big external blower. So that’s why I just hacked mine back a few inches with an angle grinder.

2 Likes

Yes I think mine is welded, will see how far I can take it back with an angle grinder. Covering everything to save the belts too.
I don’t deliberately push the boundaries with a cut but just occasionally it doesn’t home between cuts then carries on banging into the rails.

1 Like