Lens upgrade

Yes we do.

Ordered. Will see if there is any fun with import duties now.

3 Likes

Just turned up, no import fees. Probably a mistake but happy at that.

2 Likes

@funinthefalls should I expect it to need more power than the standard lens? Even cutting paper I have to turn it up past where I could cut card before? I have got the bed to about 4mm from the lens but tried a couple of mm either side in stages.

Hmmm…that should not be happening, you should actually need less power. Check to make sure the bottom lens is clean, and that the hole in the cap is clear of any debris.

1 Like

Make sure the lenses are in the right orientation. Anthony can tell you what that should be.

1 Like

They are in the blue unit, could they have moved in shipping?

Possible but highly unlikely. The only thing I can think of is that the lenses were put in the wrong way, ie the top lens should be on the bottom and the bottom lens on the top. Try switching them and see if that makes a difference. If not I’ll most likely replace the head for you with one tested for correct operation. Sorry you are having issues, we will get this resolved for you.

2 Likes

Do the lenses have a top and bottom? Curve up like the original?

I’ll have a look tomorrow, I’ve been working on stuff that doesn’t need the cuter today as it doesn’t cut at the moment :wink:

OK even though it had a runtime of maybe 5 mins in total on just low power tests it had more tar on it than a freshly laid road :confused: I haven’t been able to connect the air to it because it fouls the frame in every possible orientation, may need to see if I can find some kind of angle connector before I get to use this in anger. Also it whacks the air intake slot every time it homes so may have to adjust the home position to avoid it. Any suggestions for either problem? I guess every K40 is made differently? It does however seem to cut for the moment for the first few minutes.

Can you think of any way to angle that air intake straight upwards first? Any adaptor? There is no way I can use it as is :confused:

Can you post some pictures of your setup?

You can see the home position is very near the rail, likewise the lens is half over the air vent, I had to take the rail off altogether at the front to accommodate the beam buddy.

I initially cut my exhaust using a dremel. The first link shows that.

After a day or two, I removed it entirely and replaced it with one that I custom fabricated.

2 Likes

So I can cut the slot back 5cm / a couple of inches and have clearance there? It manages to suck the air when it is cutting at the front of the case so might be OK?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s one of the first things I did to mine too. Chop the air intake back to somewhere behind the gantry. Cover up your lens and mirrors first so you don’t get too much debris on them.

And at the front I’ve never really paid attention but I must never actually reach the stops on the Y axis rails, I just consider my bed size to end before the head hits that rail across the bottom.

2 Likes

Yes, that is fine. You won’t actually get any extra cutting space by removing it (well, you might since your head is over the duct). I didn’t add any cutting area but I can fit bigger material in, so there’s that. Plus, the exhaust flow was greatly improved.

3 Likes

I just took a look at yours, largely different than mine. The hood over the bed looks the same, but I think mine is welded in (edit: scratch that,mine is bolted. But it looks like a hassle to remove with the gantry in the way), and it came with a big external blower. So that’s why I just hacked mine back a few inches with an angle grinder.

2 Likes

Yes I think mine is welded, will see how far I can take it back with an angle grinder. Covering everything to save the belts too.
I don’t deliberately push the boundaries with a cut but just occasionally it doesn’t home between cuts then carries on banging into the rails.

1 Like