leave a comment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4ufPin0R54

nice. which MK extruder is that?

mk8 sintron

Alright, direct drive Eustathios!

Very nice build and well though out

Woo! Very interested in a direct drive carriage

Now i consider upgrading:
*print adapters between aluminium block and bushings, so i can replace the lm10uu bearings .
*Only use one belt driven motor for z axis instead of 2
*Maybe bigger heatbed.

Btw i’m pretty impressed by the mk8 extruder.

@E_Wadsager Your variant of the Eustathios is very impressive! I would like to tinker with the MK* extruder idea on my build. Was there anything special you had to do to adapt the extruder to the bearing blocks? Also, how much Z did you lose if any?

As you can see i have not used any printed parts. I used the basic idea about how the yx axis works and designed the frame to be most economic so i had almost none material waste and the wood was very cheap. So i still have about 270mm z travel (haven’t measured).
the reason why i did use a mk8 extruder is i bought a complete 3d printer set. i did think about the best way to mount it and zip ties was easy and works great.

Do you have any problems with the rotation of the linear rods, because you are using linear bearings?

haven’t had any problems yet. but my plan is print some adapters/spacers so i can use bushings instead.

what kind of bushing do you use?

At the moment I’m planning my build. Would it be possible to push those linear bearings out and push some sintered bushing in?
Because i like the way you use as less printed parts as possible if even none :slight_smile:
with something like these:

It is just lm10uu bearings inside which are hold back by a snap ring. you can remove them by hand.

could one of these bushings work?

or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-SF-1-Self-Lubricating-Oilless-Bearing-Bushing-10mm-x-12mm-x10mm-Bronze-/161550274128?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259d258e50

or print these in pla.

my plan is to use 2 bushings in each block.

Those printed bushings look also interesting. I think you would need some bushings with an outer diameter of 19mm to fit them in the sc10uu.

yes that lm10uu size. the printed should fit.
for the other bushings i would print a spacer/ adapter to make them fit the 19x29mm

Then this should work all right. So why not? Would be great if you could test this :slight_smile:

i cant see any bushings in the Eustathios BOM. does any one know which one is used?

I think you could use those I posted earlier. They are also 30mm long.