Learning how to make lithophanes

Working through my workflow and parameters to print some lithophanes. I know the process but didn’t have any idea of what parameters to use.

I am making them manually using Blender3d.

Test model.

Results which I think came out awesome. I am using a thickness of about 1/16" for the print.

3 Likes

Oscar, what did you print that on?

I can see right through your methods!

2 Likes

Print was 6" x 6" x 1/16" and .1mm layer height and 100% infill with white PLA on my Bambu P1P. Print took 2.5 hours.

1 Like

I was trying to be as transparent as I could. :grin:

1 Like

I might have found my new addiction. I am going back and trying to find all the pictures I want to convert to a lithophane.

Next parallel step is to make a lithophane panel display holder.

1 Like

I have seen some lithophane lighting kits but they seem to be a bit pricey.

Beautiful thing about us makers, we can make our own. Rough idea. I want it to look a little retro steampunkee.

I had an incandescent bulb already modeled in my library so used that as a stand in but I want to use an antique style led bulb in the final model. Might model one later for my library.

With this I can change the lithophane as my mood calls for it.

3 Likes

refining the design a bit more. Not sure what species of wood I’ll use yet.

2 Likes

The base needs slots in the “back” to discreetly and guardedly hold all of your favorite lithos.

1 Like

Great minds and all.

I had the same thought but was thinking of a hidden front drawer. I’ll play with some designs later. Need to do some yard work after Beryl dropped a ton of rain on us.

1 Like

My son printed this of our grandson and gave it to us for Christmas. He was wondering what your resolution was in the Z direction since his item was printed “standing up” to get more resolution in the Y direction. I couldn’t explain your process or how it compared with his printed model.

( images removed from public view. Potentially provided upon request. )

I am not sure how to answer.

I am using really high resolution models to begin with since I making them manually. My models are between 2-5 million verts and file size fall between 120-200 MB’s.

I am using layer height at .1mm. I could go to .08mm with the Bambu P1P but not sure if the resolution is worth the additional printing time. I am printing flat and getting what I believe is really good resolution. But I’m a newbie at this so big grain of salt.

My process is the same as converting the height maps to geometry for the cnc patterns but with the main difference of using negative value for the strength value in the displacement modifier.

I am using -.06 strength value. I’ve added smoothing and reducing the original geometry to 40% for manageability in the modifier stack. See below:

I have been printing non-stop for the last day. lol

2 Likes

I am still learning so realizing the shortfalls of printing flat.

Aesthetically you do get a certain look. I will have to try printing vertically and see the difference and see if its worth the time.

P.S. Forgot to mention the image was AI generated.

4 Likes