Lately I have tried out a couple of new free software packages related to

Lately I have tried out a couple of new free software packages related to CNC that I really like. One is called F-Engrave http://www.scorchworks.com/Fengrave/fengrave.html
F the other freeware, and give it a shot.

@Scorch more praises! It’s really a great piece of software, and is what I use 90% of the time!

@Marc_Schaefermeyer
Yeah I’ve used dxf2gcode and I like F-Engrave better. But I’ll be the first to admit I am a novice with all of it.

That is a good one too. I’ve used that one as well. We are all novice until we try a few million times! HEHE!

@Marc_Schaefermeyer
yes dxf2gcode was what I was using up until I started using F-Engrave. That and Desk Engrave in Wine. I was getting annoyed copying the files out of my Wine folder with that though, which is why I was casting about for some other font engraving software.

But now just trying the image features of F-Engrave I have to say I am impressed with that. F-Engrave can read DXF files I make in InkScape. I have to save files in LibreCAD before dxf2gcode will read the DXF files I make in InkScape.

That was getting tiresome for me too. So with F-Engrave it is one less step I have to do. Well, a couple less steps really. F-Engrave has really streamlined my software tool chain. One stop G Code generation. I like it!

I agree! That’s how I was a few years ago when I started this hobby. It’s so good! I’d love to see more of what you are doing!

@Marc_Schaefermeyer
I did not do the piece in the post. That just showed up because of the URL. Although where Google got it from I’ve no good idea. I don’t see it on that web page. But Google spiders can really find stuff.

Yeah, that is a piece that he cut out.

@Marc_Schaefermeyer
I think it is the Mayan Doomsday calendar? There’s a bit more to the image side of the software that I have not explored yet. I saw a tutorial about it. But I have not tried those steps out yet myself.

@Paul_Frederick Aztec Calendar

@Dan_Wobser
I never could tell those two apart.