LaserWeb Software Thoughts I’m using 4.0.48 distributed by DarklyLabs.

LaserWeb Software Thoughts

I’m using 4.0.48 distributed by DarklyLabs.

Sorry if some of this is redundant and rambling.

ISSUES

BUG: version 4.0.48. When selecting Cut Outside the Laser Diameter field doesn’t show up. Behaviour is inconsistently when the cut type menu is changed. I think the fields are not updating at the time of change.

Fix the negative effect caused by dragging a file into the application window. Either stop it acting as a viewer or put in a back button.

IDEAS

Button to duplicate an individual CAM’s path-job. For example if I were to do a 45 deg hatching It stands to reason I want the same settings for a 135 deg hatching. Duplicating makes sense. Also this would be handy for sequencing a final cutout.

Move Gcode section into it’s own sidebar tab/button between cam and jog tab/buttons.

Option for alert sound for errors and completion of job and gcode generation etc. sounded through the PC audio output.

When “Hide Docs” is clicked it should really make better use of the space. Reduce it to a single clean button to expand again.

Have file or file part deselect when clicking in white space bellow the list of files and file parts.

An operation to thicken a line to be used as a surface drawing.

Add a dot where the beam tip is located within the transparent blue cone.

A permanently visible dynamic connection button that updates to reflect status and function. Toggle between connect and disconnect.

Move the terminal either to it’s own tab. Or have it fixed at the bottom of the menu. But collapsible to a 1 or 2 lines. Perhaps View settings, Simulator and Terminal could be in tabs. The issue for me is i use a small VGA display and the terminal is almost offscreen.

More Clearly define the stages in the CAM’s workspace. For the uninitiated it’s extremely hard to see the intension of it’s layout no matter how logical it is.

Have a default first entry option for setting values that will be used by default by all subsequent path-jobs unless overridden there. For example the “Start Height” is likely the same value throughout the one workspace. Opposed to the more portable and project independent settings default.

Perhaps a preset CAM’s workspace, path-jobs menu available across all workspaces.

Export CAM’s workspace, path-job data as a clear clean text file with the option to import as well. Perhaps this would work in conjunction with the previous idea.

A Button to Zoom and Crop viewable area to show all of the loaded data as part of display settings.

Not have the viewable area hidden behind the menu.

New Workspace Button.

Option to turn off or completely hide the tool graphical area of the CAM’s workspace.

Have workspace save and gcode save buttons save to preset file names and locations at a click. Unless one has not been set yet.

Option, where multiple passes are set, the value, 1, 2, 3, etc. can be cut into a specified area as each pass is started.

Delevelopment is on FE 729 / BE 68… Many things have changed…

For instance you can now more easily save your operation settings to the materials database, and use that for the next operation, which gets you very close to the copy operation feature you are suggesting…

There is also a save/load workspace button that saves the workspace (documents, operations, etc.) in a JSON file (which is clear text)

Clicking the currently open tab a second time will collapse the pane, and give you full screen grid

Live Jogging allows for more direct control of the laser/tool head

Ok, Sorry if I crossed any lines. I have best intensions here.

Re the monitor. I wanted to use one of these spare. used a more modern one but didn’t give me as acceptable viable area. I am using 1024x1280 (on it’s side.) This works ok because it cuts off the right side and give me acceptable menu height. I do all my setup and gcode generating on my design computer that has 5k res. The PC with the small display is just for running and monitoring the job.

Re the version of software. I would normally update but I am unsure how this would effect the machine profile and support DarklyLabs do for the version they have made available. Unsure how that works.

Ok re drag and drop.

re gcode section having it’s own tab. My thought was that is fits with the flow of sequence of events made evident in the existing row of buttons. Additionally the simulator is relevant to the gcode data and could be move there as well.

I just found out that the Emlaser2 has sound but it’s not activated yet. But adding sound might help those with machines that do not have PCB with audio.

I do use the viewer area to deselect. Just tend to click under the file to deselect more often. Just seems logical.

Margin Function. Is that available in 4.048? I don’t recall seeing that.

The cone is huge with small parts where I have zoomed in. I guess it’s not that important.

The button I really would like.

Terminal. Ok agree with hiding, but I think minimising it to a couple of lines could be helpful while keeping current messages visible. But I think perhaps moving it to the bottom of the menu or to the left side of the viewable area. oh well.

Stages, I was wondering what they were called. Has this been updated too?

Probably having a default stage would negate the other stuff about it since there would in most cases be less to set on each subsequent stage being created.

I like the reset button showing the whole cutting area. A second button zooming to the bounding box of loaded vectors would be just as handy.

Re hidden viewable area. perhaps this is a redundant thing. But if I toggle a sidebar button which shows/hides the menu it covers the viewable area instead of shifting it aside. This is most apparent when I reset view. Yes likely it’s the width of the screen. Oh well.

Yep clear all sounds good.

Re the tool area. It’s a cool to look at, but to me it’s superfluous information, not so much a space issue.

Re save. Ok.

Oh sorry. For example I have found I get a cleaner cut by speeding up the laser speed and increasing the number of passes. I thought it might help to keep track of which pass it’s on either by onscreen display or have a small area on the material where it cuts a relevant number reflecting the pass number it’s up-to. If doable I guess onscreen would make more sense.

Thank you for your time to discuss my thoughts. You never know what might come of it. Cheers,.