Laser fails to excite, arcs to body

Sorry for the delay, I’m sure everyone was sleepless with suspense :-). (Actually, I managed to catch Covid and was sidelined for a week - been getting back up to speed on work, etc the last 10 days.)

The new tube works!!!
I installed the laser tube, wired it up and got as far as testing. The new tube seems to fire just fine when using the test button (even at very low settings). So, I am going to have to conclude it was definitely the old laser tube gone bad that was my issue. I appreciate all of you steering me in the right direction!!!

Unfortunately the hardware holding in the original tube was a pretty crude setup incorporating some pieces of rubber padding and layers of E-tape under the sheet-metal straps. I had to cut it off the old tube to remove it and I have taped it back onto the new tube, but but new diameter of the finished “cushion” is apparently not the same as the previous setup so my laser is not sitting in the right place. I will have to spend some time adjusting the laser height as well as the mirror positions till I get it right.

I’ve done some adjusting so far but the laser is still coming off the second mirror at a slightly downward angle so it eventually misses the final mirror as the gantry moves to the right. I wish I had low-power visible laser light I could shine through the system to make testing easier (and not have me worry that I might blind myself). It would be more efficient than using the tape and momentary test-fires, but I will get it done. (I actually do own a handful of tiny red diode lasers that I may figure out how to rig up in front of the end of the tube, but in reality I can’t guarantee I’ll position it at the exact same angle as the real thing).

Anyway, again, thanks for the input and suggestions about the tube being the problem and sources to replace it. I think I’m headed towards getting this running again (and it was a lot less expensive than replacing the whole thing).

J

2 Likes

Glad to hear you are back on your feet.

Just to make sure you have this information, here are our recommendations for alignment, from K40 initial setup and regular maintenance: Alignment

The path that the laser takes along three mirrors and the lens needs to be precisely aligned. Here are three resources that may help you understand how to do this.

If you prefer video instruction:

Ep6: Laser Beam Alignment. The DIY CO2 Laser Cutter / Engraver Build Series

If you prefer written instruction, here are two guides:

Note that if the third mirror does not align the beam with the middle of the lens, the beam will not be focused correctly and will not be aligned with the hole in the nozzle. You may wish to use a device that helps you align using a red visible laser. One kind uses a “beam combiner” that slightly reduces beam power, and the other is a tool used only while performing alignment .

That link at the end is for a visible laser alignment tool that you might be interested in.