Kind of, sort of, K40 manual

While searching for K40 wikis as a result of another topic, I came across this manual that I have not seen before in my interweb browsings. (intentional misuse of the english vernacular!)
FSL started by taking stock K40 lasers and putting their spin on them. In this manual, they talk about their software that works with their proprietary controller board. Most of the hardware is still the same and is relevant to most K40 users.

2 Likes

Yes then they improved them and now they are only $5000 :).

2 Likes

Very nicely condensed info there!

I wonder how much their Z axis adjustable bed mechanism costs, seems like it would be easy to make

Take a look at the lightobject variant:

1 Like

Thanks, ive seen this one, it is a sleek one but im actually looking for diy option.

Seems like a fun project to do, if componenets could be sourced for less than 50eur.

Im just starting out, so the cost of such adjustable bed is too high

Less than €50 seems difficult.

I suggest single-start lead screws so that they don’t back-drive. These are available for 3D printers. And you don’t need very much travel. You don’t need anti-backlash nuts because of gravity. You’ll have to decide what kind of bushings/bearings to use. gt2 closed-loop belts are available in lengths appropriate for this work. But when you add up all the belts, pulleys, screws, bearings, bushings, rods, stepper motor, and frame parts, I really doubt you spend less than €50 unless you have access to spare parts. But… good luck! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use the LO table.
I designed a DIY one and its projected cost was more than the LO one and getting these to move smoothly is a chore. I moved on to more rewarding projects.

5 Likes

Beam Buddy is working on an adjustable table for the K40, will be similar to the LO one, with a few design tweaks, and hopefully much less in price. We expect to have the prototyping done in about 6 weeks, and full production in about 3 months.

4 Likes

@donkjr @mcdanlj @funinthefalls

Thanks for all the feedback! Appreciate the suggestions and price estimation.

Yes, I suspect threaded rods, rollers, pulleys + motor/belt might add up fast and not saying it is easy to ‘calibrate’ the setup but I guess I would love to try such mechanical design challenge some time in the future.

Actually I had some idea whenever old disk drive thread rods could be used, or the ones from diskette drives.

Travel doesnt need to be very long and they support ~4cm of travel I think.

On a side note - isnt it easier just to get adjustable laser head and move the distance from there? What are the cons of such method?

Im sure there are resources on this forum but I always appreciate personal opinion or other links and directions for making this possible.

I did order honeycomb bed so far but havent received it yet.

1 Like