K40 Tube

My machine was working fine, I then accidently plugged the water pump into the other socket on the back. The next day when I turned on the Machine made a Loud crackling noise similar to touching 2 live wires together. If I now press the laser test button I get the same sound and no Dot on the surface. Does this mean the tube has had it or is there any other possibility?

Are you suggesting you ran the machine without coolant flow?

Do you see any arcing in the LPS area or the back compartment by the tube.

There is a slight possibility of no coolant flow and I think there was arcing in the tube area when the test button is pushed at over 15% power

Can you provide a video of the arching?

Don, we have found out the arcing problem was caused by the two red wires ( high Voltage) have now cured that although it seems the tube has had it as we can’t get it to give us any response from the test button.
I have ordered a new tube which won’ get here for a couple of weeks. Just hope that will cure everything. Will keep you posted., any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Rog

The problem you are seeing can be caused by a bad LPS or bad tube.
If you were getting arching it’s more likely the tube but it’s hard to be sure.

Can you post a picture of your control panel?
Does it have a laser current meter?

Sorry, I am not clear on what was wrong and how you fixed it?

Hi Don attached pic of control panel if it helps
Rog

No picture?

apologies

Can you give me a photo of the red wires you speak of.

When you push the test button down on the laser power supply does the laser fire?

Don
The test button does not fire regardless of whatever setting I se
Rog

It is possible that the problem is the laser power supply but we need to check a few things to be sure.

So I can get a good picture of what is going on please answer all questions:

Are you pushing the test button down on the laser power supply… not the control panel.?

Do you have and can you use a DVM?

Please post a photo of the connector end of the LPS.

Hi Don, I have pushed the and the one on the control panel, t button on the power unit and the one on the control panel, neither makes any difference.
Attached I hope are some photos. As I say I think the tube has had it. Look forward to your comments. Thanks
Rog

It may very well be that your tube is bad but I am wondering why you are not getting some kind of output from the LPS. Even with a bad tube you should see arching, hear buzzing when you push the test …

Picture 2:
What is the tape on the tube for?
Not related to this problem but:

• I would not tape anything to the tube that might inhibit cooling.
  • I assume the sensor on the tube is to measure coolant temp. I doubt that gives you an accurate reading it needs to be in the coolant. Most folks just put it in the bucket.

Picture 3:
Is that picture with the machine turned on?
When the machine is turned on what lights are lit down on the LPS

Picture 4:

• Not related to this problem but I would reroute the blue wire (sensor?) away from the red high voltage.
  • There are two red wires coming from the right of the picture one goes to the tube one goes down into the cabinet. Is that a splice or what?

Do you have and can you use a DVM?