K40 is burning but I can't control the power

I hope someone can give me an answer to this issue.

I have had my k40 since April and from September to early November I didn’t do any engraving (work, home life, etc). I use k40 Whisperer

Up until yesterday, everything was going great…mirrors aligned, focal length perfect (cutting 3mm birch with 1 pass @ 18%). The issue arose that when I turned on my machine yesterday and started to engrave the engrave was real dark and sooty. I turned the power to 10% (prior it was 12%). Still very dark and sooty. My speed fluctuates between 250 and 300mm/s. So, my first thing is I went down to 9%, 8%, 7, 6, 5, 4 and NOTHING changed. I turned off the laser from the control panel and it still engraves.

I reached out to my FB I frequent and haven’t got any response other than maybe it is the PSU. I reached out to AWESOMETECH where I bought my Mini-GRBL (haven’t installed it yet) and he said it is the tube…how can that be?..it is still engraving.

I was able to engrave fine with the speed up at 500mm/s. I don’t want to buy a PSU if it is the tube, I don’t want to buy a tube it is the PSU.

Thanks in advance.

Please post pictures of:

• your control panel
  • the connector end of your laser power supply (LPS) while in the machine
  • Are you saying the laser stays on all the time?
    ** Even when the Laser Switch is OFF?

Don,

Yes, it stays on (machine on, laser off) and it still engraves. The laser test-fires no issue as well.

I will post pictures in a bit

@defcon888 you are obviously not a spammer, so I removed the new-user anti-spam protection, which will enable you to post all the pictures you need here. Welcome to Maker Forums!

I’m wondering whether you have an analog ammeter on your K40. If it’s failing to modulate power and is always-on it could be overdriving the tube which could damage it quickly, so diagnosing the problem before using it much more seems like a really good idea. An analog ammeter would show whether the tube is being over-driven due to a failure.

So is the laser-on only when you are running a job or any time the power is applied to the machine?
That is when you power on the machine does the laser comes on immediately?

Don,

Up until yesterday if I shut the laser off (from the digital panel), it would not engrave.

I am using logic here and it seems that it isn’t the tube but maybe the controller (stock Nano board that came with it) or the PSU.

I do have an mA meter I just haven’t installed it yet. I think that is the first thing on my list of things to do.

Here are the pictures Don was asking about

@defcon888,

I am still confused about the situation:

Don…any time the machine is turned on. I am using k40 Whisperer so it isn’t like Lightburn where that controls the power.

No, the laser doesn’t COME on and hit the material immediately, but when I start a engrave job, even with the laser off (button on the digital display) it will still engrave.

Ok,

So here is what I understand the symptoms to be:

• When the machine is turned on the laser does not turn on.
  • With the laser on/off button on the control panel set to off, when you start a job from K40 whisperer the laser turns on.

When you start an engraving job in the situation above, does it engrave properly or does it just image black?

What are the two black and one brown wires connected to, was that modified for something?

Pull the K connector off and then run a job and tell me if the laser is active during engraving.

• When the machine is turned on the laser does not turn on.
    It does NOT turn on to engrave.
  • With the laser on/off button on the control panel set to off, when you start a job from K40 whisperer the laser turns on.
    Yes

When you start an engraving job in the situation above, does it engrave properly or does it just image black?

These were done with the issue occurring. These I had the speed at 500mm/s. If I would have kept it at 300 speed, it would have been charred badly

What are the two black and one brown wire connected to, was that modified for something?
When I was trying to install the mini-GRBL a few months ago, with the PSU was different and I had to splice some wires together.

Pull the K connector off and then run a job and tell me if the laser is active during engraving.> Blockquote
I will do that in a bit

It seems that the software is working controlling the speed, so to me, the Nano board isn’t the issue, but I will pull the K connector and see what happens.

I agree that the issue is not the Nano board as the engraving looks fine.

The control of both the lasers enable and power comes from the digital control panel (DCP) to the LPS.
The DCP disables the laser by forcing the LPS-IN pin to 0 volts, for some reason that seems not to be happening.

When you press the Laser ON/OFF Switch to OFF does the digital display on the panel turn off except the decimal point?

Do you have and know how to use a DVM?

When I press the “Laser ON/OFF”, the panel shuts off.

I may know what DVM is…off the top of my head…no

If the panel turns off that means the processor in the Digital panel is seeing the switch.

Sorry, DVM = digital volt meter. I would like you to make some measurements?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gmVDeS24mR4hK79H5yIw6ROlYdZg2sKs/view?usp=sharing

Here is the video of my machine with the K plug undone. The video was to large to attach.

You have to allow me to access your Gdrive.
Did the machine engrave with the Laser switch off and the K unplugged

done…should be able too now

In the video the Laser switch is on??
We are trying to see if it will engrave with the Laser Switch off and K disconnected?

here is the link to the next one. I will look for your response and allow you to see it https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rftxVw1JSC71gzXSQJgNwZFFqEyCTM2h/view?usp=sharing

No need to do a video you can just report if the machine engraved or not…