K40 disconnected with PC, axes problem.

Hi, I need help. My k40 no longer connects with PC and/or laptop. All parts work (laser, fan,…) with the exception of the x and y axes. I bought a motherboard, changed the usb cable, verified that the white tape passes electrical current and I still have the problem. When I turn on the machine the axes don’t move and the pc doesn’t connect with the laser.
The pc worked with the software before having this problem. This problem happened when I stopped a cut in half, made a bigger bump and died. Some time ago after finishing a job the machine kept sending % of job complete messages, I thought it would be pc memory problems. I don’t know what it could be? Anyone have any tips. Thanks

Didn’t the machine automatically home to the X and Y home positions when powered on even when a PC was not connected?

First thing I would look for is does the 24V and 5V from the laser power supply still work. Without those, nothing can connect and no motors can move.

1 Like

When I turn on the laser, there is no movement or noise on the axes.
Where are the 24V and 5V sources, are the electrical cables that connect the motors? I’m sorry but I’m a nullity in this field. But with guidance I’ll make it. Thank you for the tip.

Do you have a digital multi meter(DMM or DVM) and know how to use it?
The connector on the right side of the power supply has 24V, ground, 5v and Laser fire IIRC. But won’t mater if you can’t measure voltages.

The wires from that side go up to the controller board and the 24V is what is used to drive the motors so no, you don’t measure the voltage on the cables to the motors.

Did your K40 come with LED lights in it? Mine did and the LED lights ran from the 24V so those too should light up when you turn on the laser. Also would be a good idea to make sure your wall outlet is still powered and that power is getting to the input of the power supply.

1 Like