Just trying the A rotary axis and every time I do G0 A1 or

Just trying the A rotary axis and every time I do G0 A1 or put the number to jog in the A DRO TinyG disconnects and only resetting it returns control. Mapping the 4th motor to x axis works fine so I can wrap 2d patterns on a cylinder but any gcode moves to A axis (4th motor mapped to A) and it stops responding to moves but will reset from the UI. Any clues what I’m doing wrong? I took the default settings for the rotary values and I have not worked with any 4th axis Gcode but was planning on trying some from Fusion 360. Has anybody done this? I really want to do the 3d rotary with the kind of quality I’m getting for 2.5d.

That sounds like TinyG crashing on you. It would’ve helped to post a screenshot so we all knew what your version numbers were, most importantly firmware version of TinyG.

Sorry, I’ll get more info and post images.

I was hoping it was known or that someone else was doing 4 axis 3d. The 2.5d is working well and mapping X the to the rotary axis maps 2.5d textures to a cylinder when I get the travel distance matched to the surface rotation but that is not real 3d. I was hoping someone else had done 3d work. I’d really like to do 5 axis 3d work like some expensive industry machines but that seems to be a long way off for the open source community.

The Tinyg G2 core supports 6 axes. You can do that today on an Arduino Due then. The hardest part is generating the Gcode, but that would be stuff outside the scope of ChiliPeppr or what your CNC controller can do.

Yes, I know but working with the Universal Robots 6 axis arm kinda drives my thinking about these machines. The 5 axis is perfect for 3d sculptures and very complex parts but the software is a real head game well beyond the traveling salesman of cut order in 2.5d or the pseudo 3d of cutting reliefs on round stock. The way CAD/CAM is going 5 axis CAD/CAM is not going to be that hard to create any more. 3d printing really moved the mesh model technology forward so we can do a lot of 3d that was very expensive not long ago. ArtCAM Pro has some pressure sensitive direct manipulation tools for meshes and algorithms to turn faces and other difficult images into high quality reliefs. The scanning hardware and software has really gotten affordable for small shops with much better results and more tools.

It’s time for REAL 3d. :slight_smile:

BTW, real 3d with this level of detail would be wonderful.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15170745_693481940822791_8292529677236291871_n.jpg?oh=789e289bd7807a8ad34c8071399853f9&oe=58C9E627

Have you tried creating this in Fusion360 and then using their cam tool to generate the Gcode?

I’ve done 2.5d in Fusion but not 3d yet. It does a great job on 2.5d and has a lot of options for toolpaths that I have barely begun to use. I love the pencil path to sharpen the outline of meshes after the normal scanline finishing.