JediCut Simulation on a FoamCutter Machine

I really like your graphical interface. It is very clean and looks intuitive

Stock dimensions and machine width seem to be perfect as well as speed synchronization between the two wings.

However there are still a few important features which are (possibly) missing.
I already mentionned the “delta” shape of wings (horizontal shift of one profile vs the other)
Here are also two important features :

• adding “carbon rods” into the wings (red line). and
  • adding “precut ailerons” into the profiles.

This can be done outside GrblGru when designing the two dxf profiles.
But it is mandatory that start of cut of these features occurs precisely at the same instant to be sure that the “hole” or the “slot” is a straight line.

On this picture “carbon rod” is the red line while ailerons cuts are the green ones.
Note why it is important to start at these synchro points : carbon rod is straight and perpendicular to the fuselage axis, while ailerons cuts are “per wing” and parallel to the leading edge.

I know that these features are not easy to implement. But cutting foam wings absolutely need them…

Thanks for the info. I understand that these cutouts are necessary, but I still have some questions:

Are these cutouts and the profile made in one movement ?
Or are the cutouts created in a second pass?
Or would it make more sense to make the cutouts first because the block is still stable at that point ?

It is also possible to cut DXF files. Would it be a solution to draw the cutouts in a DXF sketch ? I have made a video for this, but only with German text. I hope it still shows the function.

Hi,
Thanks for your answer.
Yes it is totally feasible to draw these cut outs with a CAD software and to export all this into the dxf. (it’s indeed my prefered workflow !)
These cut outs AND the profiles are cut in one single pass to avoid any motion into the polystyrene block.

To do so there should be a way to tell where are the synchro points. Here is an example of cut path into jedicut software

The small squares are the sync points. Must be same number for both profiles.
You can add as many sync points you want (need). Here I have synched the starting points into the wing, then the first cut into ailerons, then the Leading edge, then second cut into the ailerons, then exit point into the Trailing Edge.

Note also that I start the cut by the trailing edge. This is to insure a very soft curve at the leading edge (and without stopping the motion). But you can do the opposite by flipping the profiles!
There is the possibility to add horizontal and vertical motions to enter/exit into/from the foam block. I could have added this horizontal motion on the leading edge (right most sync point) to cut half of the profile and then restart for instance by the trailing edge…
By convention the cut starts from the left side of the first profle

I’ve made a little progress again.

In the new version V5.2.15 you can now place the first cut-outs with the help of the CutOut dialog. As with the profiles, it is also possible to use DXF files for this.
What I didn’t like so far was the fixed connection of the foam block to the position of the A-axis. I have now changed this so that you can move the cutting wire to where you have mounted the block.
Now press the “Set workpiece zero point” button.
The front lower edge of the block is then positioned 20 mm in front of the wire.

See the video, unfortunately again only with German text.

I’ll continue after my Easter vacation.
I wish you all a happy and peaceful Easter. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HI,

It seems very very promising. Good job.

On my side I am glad to say that I have modified my “MM2001” board to allow to drive it with Gcode (ESP32 board + FluidNC GRBL).
And It works ! (both the 4 motors and the wire temperature control).

So tests can resume when ready to generate Gcode.

1 Like

Back from vacation.

“So tests can resume when ready to generate Gcode.”
That’s great! Then you can cut a test profile.
If you can’t access the machine directly, you can copy the GCode using the button in the toolbar.
I’m very curious to see if it works. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will do it using your copy/paste option right now.
Later I will of course try to connect it directly !

I you could post a small gcode example it would be even faster (for me) !

And here is a Gcode file for half a stabilizer of an RC plane. (see it here : MM2001 foam cutter retrofit ==> FluidNC ready! | Details | Hackaday.io)

It’s cutting the blue shape + the slot for the carbon rod.
This template :

GCode_by_Jedicut_ParkMaster_stab_fil800_dec500_S32_F100.nc (21.1 KB)

1 Like

And here are the two profiles.
jedicut_stab_emplanture.DXF (25.9 KB)
jedicut_stab_saumon.DXF (25.9 KB)

They are cut without kerf compensation (for the moment)

1 Like

First of all, sorry for only getting back to you now.
I’ve been so busy at work lately that I just haven’t gotten around to it.

Thanks also for the two DXF files.
However, I still have some questions. I assume that you are using metric dimensions. The profiles are then very small. The larger one is only 56 mm long and the smaller one 30 mm? The slots are also very narrow at 0.05 and 0.02 mm ?
I must be doing something wrong, but I don’t know what.

However, I can’t use these profiles directly. The program needs the profiles without any CutOuts . The CutOuts are added in a separate geometry, so that the remaining sections are moved evenly. The “syncho points” you described are set automatically.

I have now removed the CutOuts from your profiles once and then added 2 CutOuts . I made the short video.

A new version V5.2.16 is now also available on my website.