Jäegermeister Chiller

So random question, what’s the chilling capacity of a Jäegermeister 3 bottle chiller? :grin:

2 Likes

@Eclsnowman suggested it could be dual purpose and chill my laser with Jäegermeister. :rofl:

3 Likes

Dooooo Eeeeeet!

2 Likes

According to the manual, it uses R134A as refrigerant and it draws 160W. The manual can be found at the bottom of the manufacturer’s product page:

You can expect a coefficient of performance of 2.5 or so, which means the cooling capacity should be around 400W.

It’s pretty similar to a countertop ice maker, but I can’t tell if would be easier or more difficult to modify. It all depends how easy it would be to use a larger reservoir. And apart from that you only need to power the fan and turn the compressor on/off with some thermostat with compressor delay like an STC-1000.

It might contain a separate 12V module which you can use for the fan and a 12V STC-1000 (there are also 24V and mains voltage versions).

3 Likes

Oh wow, thanks for the info @tomatsu :grinning:

1 Like

My chiller setup is an office type water cooler (the kind with the big jug on top). I didn’t really modify the cooler, I just put a coil of copper into it’s tank. The cooler keeps 1 gallon of water at 33 degrees, when my 3 gal of laser water gets too warm it kicks a pump on through the copper coil. I’d have to check the specs on the cooler, I think I gradually heat up the water, but I never run for long enough to get it too warm.

2 Likes

I assume this is deg F? :smile:

1 Like

:laughing: Yeah, honestly it’s probably at 32. It will form a little ice… takes a long time to heat up from there though.

1 Like

I have a similar configuration except I just dropped a aquarium pump into the cooler reservoir and bring the chilled water in HomeDepot flexible hose to 1/4" coil of refrigerator water line(already coiled) placed in my 5 gallon laser water reservoir. I put insulation over the cold line going to the 5 gal tank.

Works ok if I have the chiller pre-cooled( ~6 hours ahead ) and I don’t run it for more than a couple hours. I’ve added a fan to the chiller heat fins which might help speed up chilling and chilling capacity but the reservoir is only ~1/2 gal.

The Jaegermeister chiller seems to get close to freezing so it probably has better capacity than my water chiller setup.

3 Likes