I've started building a Prusa i3 and I am looking to order a hotend.

I’ve started building a Prusa i3 and I am looking to order a hotend. In the past I have been impressed with the reliability and quality of the jhead mk iv. What hotend are you using / do you recommend? (Incuding filament and orifice size)

I went with a jhead w/ a 0.4mm orifice, 3mm filament.

@Shane_Graber I am thinking about going for a smaller nozzle orifice on this printer. There have been a number of occasions where the 0.5 mm nozzle has been a little too big to capture some finer detail.

Yeah going to a 0.35mm would definitely be of benefit there. My models all seem to be larger so I hate to increase my print time too much by decreasing it too far. Right now I’m using a 0.5mm on my Cupcake. The jhead that I bought for my i3, I could have either bought a 0.35, 0.40, or 0.50mm orifice so I split the difference. :stuck_out_tongue:

J-head MK-V 0.35mm, 1.75mm filament size. I’ve been doing 3mm on a J-head MK-IV, and it’s been awesome, except for having to lathe that little nipple off. The MK-V has a proper flat so performs well.

I actually use the MK-V, because of the teflon insert design. You can use both 1.75mm filament, and 3mm filament with it just by changing out the insert.

I also always use a max layer height of 0.3mm anyways, so that fits with my printing style.

Anyone know where I can get a Jhead mk v-b in Europe that has them in stock?

@Daniel_Wood , ask reifsnyderb in reprap freenode. He’s the maker of the hot ends, he’ll be able to give you whatever info you need. May need to PM him though.