I've been working on this project for a few months now.

I’ve been working on this project for a few months now. It’s an audio visualizer running on a teensy 3.1 and the teensy audio board with FastLED making magic happen. Credit goes to @Stefan_Petrick for much of the code and @Mark_Kriegsman @Daniel_Garcia @Paul_Stoffregen for their genius.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6akH2uLR1lA

brilliant, makes me want to map the pixels and control it with a launchpad

Thanks, I’ve never heard of a launchpad until now but I’ll be building three more of them so they can be tiled 2x2 or 4x1. Controlling each with a launchpad sounds interesting.

Check out the launchpad mini, i think $70 for a nice compact unit. Functions well.
You could probably work on the mapping with a program like Madmapper or TouchDesigner. I could even see this being done with a clever VJ program setup and a series of screens/masks

Nice frame! How much fps do you get with the fft and hundred(?) leds?

Thanks Stefan. I’m currently getting anywhere between 130-220fps using the 256 point FFT. I’ve had a look at the launchpad now too Kev, not sure how I’d implement it into the design as of yet, though I see there are some open sourced versions out there too.

I wonder if it appears a bit more snappy live. The 30 fps video makes it really hard to judge, how much the sound reactivity is “on the spot”. Do you use a mic or a line input in to get the audio signal? And the video makes me again think about an auto gain function for different bands… But Fatboy Slim uses to master his tracks pretty “fat” - so it is really hard for me to say anything about the fft you use. Have you ever played with a MSGEQ7 so that you could compare it? By the way: I love it to see people using and evolving my code until a point where it is hard for me to even recognice the roots anymore!

It is pretty snappy live and I’m still tweaking each of the visuals as I go along so there’s plenty to be done yet. I’m using a line input to the teensy audio board for a cleaner signal. The audio board does have an auto volume control available on it which I have played with but don’t fully understand yet, I’ll have another go at implementing it at a later date. I have used the MSGEQ7 in the past for a light suit I made. It’s a great little chip but I moved on to the audio board as I can set my own frequencies for each band. As for your code being unrecognizable, this is why I love the arduino programming environment. I’ll constantly hit walls as to what I can code, then find somebody out there, like yourself, that has code I can tweak and gradually understand how it all works. From one blinking red LED to an LED music visualizer equals sense of achievement.