I've been working on a way to use the strengths of 3D printing while

gplus
(Michael Scholtz) #1

I’ve been working on a way to use the strengths of 3D printing while reducing the rather unpolished look of surfaces. What do you think of me 1st attempt?
The part is printed with a ridged surface paterns and this was then painted and rubbed so paint sits in the groves while exposing the plastic ridges. The paint effect took 2 minutes to do. The part has the patern both sides but printing it like that caused some problems so I split it in 2 halves and glued it. On this the edge will be getting covered in felt.

(Paul van den Bergen) #2

Hide the surface features you don’t like in surface features you do like. Nice!

(nick durrett) #3

Looks awesome! Good job

(Frank “Helmi” Helmschrott) #4

Great Job, @Michael_Scholtz - what tools did you use to bring on the pattern?

(Michael Scholtz) #5

The design was done in freecad and the cutouts where done in the design. I created a negative that was cut out of the design.

(Ian Johnson) #6

You could do some interesting things with moire using this idea, kind of like this- https://www.behance.net/gallery/12324331/Animals-in-Moir

The effect can be done fairly easily in Illustrator by creating a blend between two lines, using steps rather than a gradient. It’s possible that Inkscape has a similar function but I haven’t looked into it. You could import those vectors into CAD and work with them from there rather than drawing them all by hand.

edit- Have a look at Interpolate in Inkscape