I’ve been wanting to print this 3D printable glider I found on Thingiverse ( http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:56147 ) but the wing cores are thin wall and my several attemps in ABS have warped and layer split, so I was determined to print them in PLA instead.
I’ve heard the Budaschnozzle (the version I have, 1.2) wasn’t too great for PLA, so I got busy and built an X-Carriage for my printer to fit my QU-BD DD extruder so I could run some PLA stuff. Before I swapped the carriage off I decided to try running some Ultimachine PLA samples, which I got free with my last order, through the schnozzle.
I put a small 40mm fan on the schnozzles brass/copper heatsink cup at set it for 30%, retuned my PID settings in reptier/repetier firmware with the fan set for 30% and “M303 P0 S185” as gcode and put those values into the EEPROM.
The prints have been working out great so far! The yellow pic is how my thin walls often in ABS tend to go (although this is an extreme example and while I was testing the effects of skirts on prints) the red and the green are in PLA.
If the red print finishes alright, instead of using a single QU-BD extruder I’m going to stick with this and modify my single QU-BD carriage I designed to fit two QU-BD extruders for PLA with PVA support.