I've been experimenting with milling some 6061. I'm having moderately positive results.

diycnc-discuss
gplus
(Ollenberger) #1

I’ve been experimenting with milling some 6061. I’m having moderately positive results. What sort of bits, feeds and speeds do you guys use on aluminum?

(CNCTECHNICAL) #2

hi chris / you can find a useful tool here
http://www.vhf.de/cgi-bin/ToolCalc?lng=gb
further you can find a lot of different tools with explanation what fore they are
hope it is what you are looking fore
happy milling

(Ollenberger) #3

Thank you! Do you have any specific advise on bit type/brand. I guess I’m looking for some anecdotal advise from the collective experience of others. What has worked for you? ( :

(CNCTECHNICAL) #4

not so simple to answer depends what you want to do / but on the vhf site you find the diferent styles with explanation what fore the tool is designed / so you can find an option for the shape you could use / as ever good tools are expensive but not always the right solution for the machine you use / check your max working and spindle speed / calculate it with the online tool and than you can simple find out wich milling tool will fit your needs

my prsonal meaning is that you can do nearly everything with nearly all tools BUT YOU HAVE TO KNOW YOUR MACHINE otherwise you can ruin a lot

keep care
good luck and dont ruin your router :wink:

(Paul Frederick) #5

Wikipedia says 250-350 SFPM using HSS cutters in aluminum. So a quarter inch cutter running 5,000RPM is 327 SFPM. My mill only goes up to 2,500 RPM so I crank it all the way up and go to town.

(Kyle Kerr) #6

I don’t have any specific advice due to not having a working mill yet, but, based on the number of courses I took in college related to CNC work, there are calculators out there that will attempt to give you a ball park figure for your specific tool. I subscribed to a user on youtube that has his own machine. His spindle is a router without speed control that runs at 15k RPM(?). He uses single flute cutters for his metal work. I believe they are carbide bits rather than HSS. https://www.youtube.com/user/radioshack7

(Paul Frederick) #7

@Kyle_Kerr
You can figure out your tool periphery surface speed with a regular calculator. The formula is

(PI * DIA * RPM ) / 12 = SFPM

Here is a worked example for your friend’s setup running an eighth of an inch in diameter bit.

(3.1415 * 0.125 * 15,000 ) = 5,890.5 / 12 = 491 SFPM