Its on the wrong zero (i think) so its running the gcode in a

Its on the wrong zero (i think) so its running the gcode in a reversed mirror. I did test by swapping the polarity of the X and dual Y motor setup. As of now (as seen in the video) the X and dual Y motors are as follows, $1po=0 (x in normal) $2po=0 (y1 in normal) $3po=1 (y2 in reverse).

As a test, I switched it to $1po=1 (x in reverse) $2po=1 (y1 in reverse) $3po=0 (y2 in normal). What it did was flip the text to the opposite direction, but it was still backwards.

In JScut (the cam software) there is a Gcode Conversion window (bottom right) I choose the, “Zero Center” option and this may be the culprit. Still trying to work this out, but I am close.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kcekkZlbmg

Looks great @Thomas_Shue .

Does Chilipeppr show the image correctly?

Try loading the CP logo and see if that runs correctly

Brandon, yes it does show correctly in ChiliPeppr. I really think its the Gcode converter in JSCut. Ill test again when I have another entire day to devote to helping my friend again. This has been a super slo process. So much info, and its not all in one easy to digest place. Its spread out, conflicting, and even just wrong.

Ill be happy when I am done with setting up this machine so I can do a complete How to video with links to support the info I offer up.

Also these community are cool, and they offer a great place to showcase your projects. However compared to IRC information exchange is super slow.

I have worked on the #CleanFlight dev team, as well as with #makerstoolworks built flight controllers from the PCB up. As well as 3D printers from ground up. If it wasn’t for instant access to fellow team members, I might still be trying to figure out how to compile a binary :).

With that said, the folks here might want to look at starting a tinyg or #Chilipepper IRC channel. I know there is a #cncox IRC channel with a handful of members (join please :), I did today, and if I can help anyone I surely will (customer or not :slight_smile:

For those that don’t know, IRC is like texting, but on a PC, (or mobile device) and I cant live without it. IRC is an invaluable tool, and has spoiled me. I say this because working on projects without it, takes forever compared. The quick little questions that take hours to verify via google searches, and email posts happen instantly (most of the time). Also, depending on the IRC client (the app used to connect to IRC) you use (IRC CLOUD is awesome and easy to use), it creates a log file. Members often times search back in this log to previously asked questions and offer answers to the OP. This is helpful because when they (the OP )comes back they can get the answers they are looking for.

Dont get me wrong, I am extremely grateful for the help and information I have received from the less than a handful of people who have offered it to me. What I am saying is, there is a better way :slight_smile:

Here is a great example of a CNC IRC, visit #linuxCNC on the freenode, and you will find 160 members networking and helping each other on builds, trouble shooting, helping people pick out components, ect… Its just like all the other IRC channels that I go to, invaluable!

Sorry to get off topic like that, I would love to this particular CNC niche to take off and grow as quickly and easily as possible. What should of taken me a day to figure out, took me over 30 hours of bugging people via email, posting on several different groups. Plus untold hours and hours of weeding thru the mountain data served up via Google when you search, TinyG ChiliPeppr, OXcnc, JSCut in any combination.

Again thanks for the help, when I get back to the machine is a few days, I will dig in like a tic and see what the heck is going on.

There is a tremendous amount of information out there about this hobby and the skill set of all the community members vary soo.

I am currently trying to get into the FPV 250 arena now. I am feeling what you were, there is a ton of information out there and I’m not really finding what I want. Frustrating, but I learn a lot along the way.

If you want to shoot me your DXF I’ll CAM it and shoot it back.

Try CamBam, it’ll let you run a free trial for a while, drag and drop into Chilipeppr.

What do you consider home on the OX?

Homing is hard to describe because its hard to define where you are standing (but back left corner with the head raised :slight_smile: is my answer. I consider home to be the mins on the X and Y (back to the left) and the Max on Z, Spindle Raised.

And I totally agree there is a ton of info out there, but I also said it’s spread all over, its conflicting, some is so old, and some is just plain ole wrong.

The fustration for me is the limited times I have to work on on this particular machine. I am doing it out of the kindness of my heart (ash Steve), and It’s located one hour away (each way). I do my research for a couple of days and go to the build. I get there and the info is not right or its not clear, or it conflicts with other information.

Then there is no one specifically to reach out to for quick clarification. You see, I dont want to be responsible for damage to his gear, so I have to be 100% certain when I make a choice to do something. So I ask questions, a lot of questions. I ask them in the handful of resources available, and in a few hours I get a response. Meanwhile I continue digging and sometimes I find the correct info before I get a response, and sometimes not.

With IRC answers are in minutes not hours most of the time, but not always. Even with IRC it can take a day of diggin for an answer.

Brandon, ill just say this. There is not a single resource on the internet where someone offers a complete build on a OXCNC with a TinyG. You know one where the builder offers the correct configurations and parameters, specifically for an OX (not a ShapeOko, or Inventables, but I know they are similar).

I am not asking for them to elaborate on how they use ChilPeppr or JScut (but I plan to). I am after just a basic build thread on the an OX CNC with TinyG controller and its setup Building the frame is child’s play (but I think all that tapping should already be done :). The info that’s hard to come by is correct wiring info, and the proper config of the TinyG to work to with a given length of extrusion, size of pulleys, belts and threaded lead screws used, as well as the proper setup based on the size of the stepper Nema 17 vs Nema 23. A bonus would be a step by setup video on how to properly dial in the pots on the tinyG (current setup) .
I have over 30 hours in my friends garage, plus at least 20 more at home doing research. Oh… and I consider myself to be a fairly smart person who isn’t afraid to read.

You’re right, I am into RC a lot (gas 3D planes, FPV racing, AP,). I do lots of build threads, in fact here is one. It offers Sill images, step by step text, and a video summary of each section of the build. http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?2940-Twisted-Hobbys-RC-Factory-s-Brand-New-36-quot-EPP-FLASH-NG-quot-Official-Build-Thread-quot. This is an example of how I like to see info presented. Its idiot proof.

At this very moment I am editing all of the footage (240 gigs of HD video and stills) I created, and I plan to offer a similar build thread as a Step By Step Build on the MendalMax 3 for Makers Tool Works (all openbuilds rails and wheels) with a Rambo board).

Yes I am from the rc world, but I am also from the content creation world. I am a photographer, an instructor. I teach many of the packages in the Adobe suite, Lighting, retouching, and video editing. I have also offered many tutorials in 3D modeling and 3D motion graphics. I have a photography blog with hundreds of free of tutorials (all with videos). I am a pretty well rounded guy, and travel in many circles. One would think if the info to build an OX CNC with TinyG was easy to find, I just might be able to find it all by myself with no help at all.

In the end, its like I said there are no concise instructions to work from in one place to build the OX with TinyG (YET:).

This is all I will say on this subject, and I will move past it… I spent like 5 mins with dhylands in IRC. I asked him SIX questions.

1. What belts do you run GT2 or GT3?
  2. What Pulleys 10 tooth?
  3. What Steppers Nema 17 or 23?
    4.What lead screw for the Z axis, is it a 4 start 8mm 2 pitch? 5.What length are your extrusions on your x and Y?
  4. Are you using the Quiet Spindle with PWM control?

It took him 30 seconds to respond to the first question, and the rest were answered in 2 mins tops. We chatted for maybe 3 more about other stuff, and it was over. Armed with this information along with this TinyG dump I found on his github I could of set up my TinyG in less 30 mins not 8 hours beating my brains out and still get it wrong.

I rest my case :slight_smile: Proof of how invaluable IRC is for Makers.

Home should be front left looking at the spindle. Positive travel into the field. Negative travel in Z going down. Same as most CnC including 3d printers, we typically stand on the other side.

10 tooth pulleys?

Dave is a great resource. He has great build instructions and really took his time and documented well.

Glad you are making tutorials I know they will be of great value to the community.

Oops I hit the 1 instead of the 2 for a 20 tooth GT3 Pully… yeah not to many 10 tooth pulleys on the market that I have seen… DoH… :slight_smile:

Edit:
This video shows the home position I was trying to describe. https://youtu.be/7Xmo3UP6l18?t=10m20s. Z axis up (max homing), and back in the corner for X&Y this is exactly how I have my friends machine set up.
Code Example
$st=1 switch type [0=NO,1=NC]

$xsn=1 x switch min [1=homing]
$xsx =0 x switch max [0=off]

$ysn=1 y switch min [1=homing]
$ysx=0 y switch max [0=off)

$zsn=0 z switch min [0=off]
$zsx=1 z switch max [1=homing]

On my MM2 and MM3 3d printer, home is Z down, and to the front left corner of the build plate.

Thomas - Ahh, the brief video helps. If you call your home the “Back-Left Corner”, then I’ll comment that ‘most’ (maybe just some, me for sure) SheapOko users call the “Front Right Corner” home. Both work, if you have your axis polarities correct. It really depends on where/how you prefer to load material.
Once you finally sort out the drawing inversion issue and are sort of satisfied with you parameter set, please post an updated $$ dump to the PasteBin.
I would like to have it as a working example for Ox visitors to the Forum. Ox machines are becoming more popular all the time
And, now that I stare at the video attached to this item and better understand your definition of home, I believe you need to filp the polarity of your X axis, not Y axis as I suggested earlier. That is based on your calling home the Back left and A belief that you shot this video standing at the front right, looking back (diagonally) toward ‘home’.

I will offer my tg dump off the OX so folks don’t have to work as hard as. We have to get it dialed in. Carl you have been very helpful, and for that I thank you…

To clarify the problem was an inverted X axis only. I shot a ton of video today, and hope to edit soon…