It seems when doing fine detail the laser won't fire enough to make a

This is the best picture I have right now but notice the letter A in this example. This is the sort of thing that happens all the time. Of course this being a letter I can vector engrave it to fix it bit this method doesnt work on everything. missing/deleted image from Google+

Are you referring to the skip in the stroke. If so this is not the fine detail problem that you referred to is it?

I am referring to that but it’s the only example I have right now. I’ll post more pictures tomorrow that better illustrate it.

@donkjr Yes that is exactly what it does, there is a trapezoidal curve for acceleration and deceleration, and the laser power is set proportional to that curve. If there are not enough segments to allow it to reach full acceleration then the power will not reach full power. This was supposed to be an improvement so it didn’t burn the edges when it slows down.

@Wolfmanjm so what happens if you move to a location and print just one dot :).

@Chuck_Comito Ok looking forward to more pics, because I think that skip in the image is not due to the response discussion we are having.

@donkjr Presuming it was a longish move it would be at full power as moves are consolidated in the planning buffer and the ramps are calculated against those consolidated moves. The problem would be if there were a lot of very short moves such that it can never reach full speed.

@Wolfmanjm , this may be the case here as the gantry was moving left and right of the vertical line in the A. They were very short moves and might be smaller than the acceleration/power can turn on?

you can increase acceleration and see if it helps at all, but in my experience the buffer is usually big enough to handle even short moves and when scanning is usually has planned far enough ahead to be at full speed. Also try playing the gcode from sdcard see if it helps, some hosts are too slow to stream short segments fast enough to keep the buffer full.