Issues cutting through wood with K40

Not sure what problem we are solving.
Put the sensor in the bucket and that adequately does the job :).
I added the sensor on my tube jacket just see the difference and I was thinking about putting a fan in the tube compartment for air cooling.

This does assume that everyone has a water flow interlock (yes they should :slight_smile: )
If you don’t have a water flow interlock then it seems that it would make more sense to monitor the temp of the tube directly.

1 Like

I don’t think using an interlock installation is a limiting factor as to where the sensor is put.
You can put a temp sensor anywhere and have the thermal controller in or out of the interlock circuit.

Although I have no practical evidence, I do not think that measuring the laser tubes tube surface accurately and responsively measures the internal water jacket temperature. I wouldn’t trust that the outer surface of the tube would show the same temperature as the internal jacket especially under changing thermal loads. I say this based on the notion that it takes time for the water temperature to reach the surface of the tube. This is especially true in that the sensor in the water has less contact thermal resistance that a probe on the glass of the tube.

I guess I am capable of testing this because I have both sensors. Only the water bucket sensor is in the interlock circuit.

All that said I also do not know how long the tube can be at over-temp before damaging the tube. Maybe short over-temps are irrelevant and any delays existing between the inner jacket and the outer tube are irrelevant.

1 Like

Guess who has 2 thumbs and just cut through 5mm wood on 5 passes :slight_smile:

Thank you all very much for your assistance.

so I realigned the lasers and installed a new air assist, this also involved trimming my exhaust port which was not pretty.
I have some temp gauges on order and have decided I now need an adjustable bed.

Just to say though you guys rock - thanks again

TK

6 Likes