Is there a way to merge faces of a model in 123D Design software

gplus
discussion
(Renat Z.) #1

Is there a way to merge faces of a model in 123D Design software (not the online edition) to make the model solid? I successfully imported an STL file into 123D Design after converting it to STP format using InStep program. However these triangular faces I don’t know how to get rid of. In Sketchup it is possible by just selecting the line and deleting it… Here’s the snapshot of the model I want to round off the edges of, but can’t before I merge these faces…
Any help is truly appreciated!!
#123ddesign #STL #STP #Sketchup

(Wayne Friedt) #2

I don’t know how to fix this bu,t i have tried unsuccessfully to import stl’s into 123D. What is the InStep program?

(Wayne Friedt) #3

If you look to the right side of 123D is there a menu there with an eye at the bottom?

(Shachar Weis) #4

I found 123D Design very frustrating to use. The GUI is slow and sometimes does weird things, it crashes a lot (and doesn’t autosave). I eventually dropped it.

(Normand Chamberland) #5

I may be late to the party as you said in another post you’re learning SolidWorks now, but what you ask for here can be achieved quickly in FreeCAD:

1. import STL
  2. switch to Part workbench
  3. select the mesh shape in the Project tree
  4. go to Part --> Create shape from mesh
  5. Select newly create shape then go to Part --> Convert to solid
  6. Select newly created solid then go to Part --> Refine shape to merge the coplanar faces.
(Normand Chamberland) #6

I found your hook here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:194
I’m able to convert it to a valid solid, but I can’t get rid of the triangular faces where there are holes.

(Renat Z.) #7

Normand, Tinkercad imports STL files without nasty triangular lines around the holes.

(Normand Chamberland) #8

So does SketchUp. Yet that does not mean they are not there, they just don’t show. I believe both are mesh modelers (I’m sure in the case of Sketchup, not as much about Tinkercad since I don’t use it). In mesh modelers, you produce models made out of facets, not of mathematically precise surfaces like in CAD software. Mesh modelers can “smooth out” models and make those facets seem to disappear, but this is just a visual trick, inherently the model still retains facets.