Is Smoothieboard RoHS?

I want to use Smoothieboard v1.x5 in a commercial product.

I read in this post that it is RoHS. Is there an official certification somewhere? From which supplier could I purchase to obtain official documentation?

The Bill of Materials has a column “RoHS”. Most cells are empty and some are green with a “*” inside. What does it mean?

Thanks a lot

The components for which you have the option of selecting RoHS or not, we select RoHS. Those are all ICs. That’s pretty much it. The components for which you don’t have a choice, are all passives, for which the distinction doesn’t make sense. The boards do not have any “non-RoHS” components. And the most important part of all this, is the solder we use is RoHS, obviously.

There is no official certification, simply making sure we don’t use non-RoHS components/solder is enough (including for some pretty strict processes like having the board go up to the ISS, or some national security uses etc)

4 Likes

Sorry to revive a post for which I had accepted the solution, but I’m still unsure about a point.

The components for which you have the option of selecting RoHS or not, we select RoHS. Those are all ICs.

That is great.

The boards do not have any “non-RoHS” components. And the most important part of all this, is the solder we use is RoHS, obviously.

Excellent.

There is no official certification, simply making sure we don’t use non-RoHS components/solder is enough

This is where I’m bugging. If I want to put a Smoothieboard in my product, then I have to make sure that it is RoHS compliant. As far as I know there are two ways to do it:

A. Through documentation: my supplier (Robotseed?) guarantees that the board is RoHS. How ? With a simple declaration, but still an official declaration from the company. For example the company Newport provides here a declaration for one of its products. Such letters typically say something like “To the best of our knowledge after conducting a risk analysis of our product, we confirm that it does not contain xxx and it is therefore RoHS compliant.”

B. Through testing: I should probably send 1 or more Smoothieboards to a testing lab that will check for the presence of some substances. I have no idea whether testing labs can test entire chips at once.

Option A is the overwhelmingly recommended one.

Does somebody know whether the board is also REACH compliant (if I should make another post for that let me know)?

I hope it will be useful to existing and future users, this board is amazing, thanks for this great piece of electronics.

The BOM for Smoothieboard is Open-Source and public, and does specify that the components for which it makes sense to do so, are ROHS.

But if you really want the manufacturer of the board ( RobotSeed, Robosprout ) to give you document certifying their product is ROHS, I’m sure they’ll be happy to (especially if you prepare the document yourself and/or provide them with an example so it reduces the amount of effort on their side ).

(also thanks for the praise at the end, it’s very much appreciated in these hard times, it means more to us than you might expect)

4 Likes