Is my laser tube bad? How can I replace it?

I just recently finished the work. Changing out the laser was not too difficult, especially if you watch the video linked above. I liked the suggestion in the video to use silicone tubing to insulate the joint in the wire.
I also now have a 10 gallon fish tank for the water reservoir, I added the flow indicator suggested above, and found a temperature sensor with an alarm to help prolong the life of the laser in the future. Link to temp sensor with alarm.
I also created my own tube extension and posted it to Thingiverse.
3D printed K40 tube extension
I have only used the laser once after aligning the mirrors and it looked good but it was a quick first test. Time will soon tell how well it went.
Thanks to everyone who replied with info to this post. It was tremendously helpful to have this forum. Thanks all!

3 Likes

Since your new tube is theoretically greater than 40 watts, be careful not to drive it at full power (never a good idea in any case) to avoid damaging your power supply.

LPS shouldn’t produce more that it’s limit, so it shouldn’t be an issue with the lps, it’s with the tube …

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Some ideal modifications to improve life:

1. Wire a temp controller and flow switch into the interlock (WP) circuit on the LPS so it shuts down immediately upon an error condition.

2. An analog laser current meter is the best way to tell what your tube is doing.

1 Like