Intermittent connectivity on Vertigo CNC running smoothieware

Hi Arthur,
I have a similar comport issue, except that mine is a stability issue.
I connect USB C to USB C. I open CNCjs and import my G Code, zero my settings and start.
1-2 minutes in the communication is lost, and the routing stops. I refresh the comport and start again.
Any thoughts?

Hey @DanNz2681 !

What do you mean “USB C” ? There is no USB C on Smoothieboards … this is a bit confusing, care to clarify?

Would you mind trying something that is not CNC.js (just as a test), like Pronterface, and see if the issue occurs the same there?

(note: the documentation says to do this when in your situation, you would benefit I think from doing more documentation reading to learn about things like this, it would improve your ability to solve this problem I would expect, so I recommend you do so).

Also, Pronterface does a better job than CNC.js at informing users about the details of problems like this, so it’s possible in the Pronterface log/side-panel, you might see information about the disconnection.

Please copy/paste all of the information in that side panel to pastebin.com, and give us the link to that pastebin paste.

Thanks!

Hi

My Vertigo CNC has USB type C data in
image.png
This is the same as new Samsung phones.
Thanks for the info on Pronterface. I will give it a try.

@DanNz2681 have you asked Vertigo for help first? It looks like they are running Smoothieware on their own hardware (since the official smoothieboards do not have USB-C), so they should be the the first point of contact for connectivity issues. There’s so much that can be hardware here…

What’s a vertigo CNC? (both http://www.vertigocnc.com/ and http://vertigotech.co.nz/ give me errors …)

What board are you using exactly ?

We can’t help you if we know nothing about the hardware you are running … you need to inform us to the best of your ability or this is going to be a lot more work/pain for us than it should be …

Like @mcdanlj mentions, did you contact the machine’s manufacturer/seller before asking the community?

It’s generally considered (as explained in the documentation) good practice/etiquette to ask the people you paid for the hardware and associated help before asking volunteers offering their free time to you, does that make logical sense to you?

Where did you get your firmware binary file, on the smoothieware.org website, or on the vertigo CNC website?
And if you got it on the vertigo website, can you please point to exactly where you got it.
And if you got the board pre-flashed with a firmware, did they provide you with the associated source code?

Good morning

Yes, I have. I got a great response initially but 4 wks later they have dropped off the radar. No Response to emails or phone calls. Maybe they are super busy??
I’m thinking if I cant sort this out with software and cables I may have to switch boards.

Good to know you reached out to them, and if they don’t help, it’s indeed fine to ask the community.

Make sure you ask them again on a regular basis, and make them know it’s not ok to not provide support for a machine you bought for thousands, and for which support had to be included in the price. It’s pretty much stealing. “Being busy” is no excuse for stealing.

Would you mind answering my other questions in my previous message please? The more we know, the better we can help you. (edit: I just realized you were answering Mike not me, so you didn’t ignore my questions, we just both asked about Vertigo so I thought you were answering my asking about them. Apologies for the confusion.)

Hi

I’m not sure what info in particular.
See below attached

Apologies for the vague email earlier. I was at Mothers day.

Where did you get your firmware binary file, on the smoothieware.org website, or on the vertigo CNC website? Sent to me by Vertigo themselves
And if you got it on the vertigo website, can you please point to exactly where you got it.
And if you got the board pre-flashed with firmware, did they provide you with the associated source code? Nothing flashed yet.

Kindest Regards

Dan Meredith

(Attachment Config.txt is missing)

Ok thanks for the additional info.
They seem to be violating the license for the firmware and the license for the hardware, but that doesn’t really concern you, so I won’t go into that.
Please do the test with Pronterface and tell us how it goes.

Hi
I installed and ran Pronterface this evening and it ran fine. All 3 axis full and free without a single disconnect.
Then I ran CNCjs and it crashed my computer 3 times. My laptop is fairly new and well spec’d so that’s odd. And another odd thing has started: when I move the tool to the workpiece to zero out it moves extremely slow and locks out any other controls other than to kill the power. Is there another program I can use other than cncjs?

smoothieware.org/software

1 Like

Good news for me gents. I have installed ugs platform 64 and it ran my pattern without incident.
Thank you Arthur for pointing me away from CNCjs. I think I can stop hassling Vertigo as well.
Now I can move forward with a bit more confidence and design more challenging projects

1 Like