Interesting. A fully-cartesian approach to resin printing,

@Jason_Hsu Very correct on all points. It’s the cost savings that is driving me the most. There need to be bridges made that connect commercial and hobbyist level technologies. My hope is that I’ve helped start a new bridge.

Thank you very much for considering this project! I am working hard in the evenings right now to get more media produced and published. This week was full of tests for upgrades so I haven’t produced much worth taking a picture of, all test cubes and such. That will change asap, check back often!

It will be interesting to see what kind of max layer speeds mUVe 1 will achieve in it’s final specification compared to galvo and DLP. For comparison, here’s a closeup of FORM 1 (galvo) scanning a layer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjaUasw64VE

Based on the current mUVe 1 test videos compared to the near-production FORM 1, it looks like optimizing the “peel move” would be lowest hanging fruit for improving overall print times.

Also, I didn’t understand why some SLA resin printers used perforated metal build platforms until your video explanation about viscosity and vacuum effects. Thanks!

@Jason_Hsu It will be interesting to see what can happen with top speeds. One thing of benefit is that the gantry of the mUVe 1 is very light and easy to move quickly. I’ve actually been finding the problem isn’t the load, it’s the capability of the motors and their ability to accelerate. I’ve had to move to large pulleys to compensate. So far so good though. They do have amazing resolution with the FORM 1, I do honestly think we can rival that without too much more work. I notice their peel move is quite “sticky” compared to mine though. It’s too bad they don’t say what their coating is made of.

You are correct again, the peel move is the most time costly process on the machine. I anticipate getting to a much faster peel, right now I am going slow for reliability. I want to get through prints and not really push the limits yet. I think the community will be best at pushing the limits anyway.

I’m glad I could help explain some things. I too had wondered why “Pro” level SLA printers always had punched steel, the first time I poured that resin it all clicked though. I honestly think that it can be eliminated with time. When my laser cutter arrives next week I’ll be able to test etched Acrylic. I really just want to eliminate the finishing process where the round nubs need to be removed from the printed part, it doesn’t take long but isn’t ideal. It’s either going to be that solution, or the raft solution where the part is slightly lifted and torn off at the end that end up working the best. At least that’s where I’m headed so far. If the community finds a better idea then we will do what they prefer.

I’m going to enjoy printing the crap out of my FORM 1, but as a hacker I hope to see the community rapidly innovate open source SLA like they did with FDM. The main concern I had about the perforated steel build platform was mainly an issue of flatness, but if that isn’t really an issue, then why not stick with that (heh, pun).

@Dean_Piper What sort of speed, acceleration and jerk values are you using? I assume you’re using anti-backlash belts and all your linear motion parts are silky smooth :). The Twin-Nema per-axis setup your using should allow some pretty high speeds and acceleration I’d imagine. I see these guys are thrashing a similar setup at 1000mm/s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UliNaajy5o&feature=player_embedded
With respect to avoiding the ‘nubs removal’ problem, have you tried the new raft setting in Slic3r 0.99?
Appreciate your thorough responses btw and glad to see you’ve got some backers!

@Tim_Rastall Right now I am using around 4000mm/s acceleration, printing between 400-600mm/s, and jerk has been left around 20 but will be increased as I test, top speed limits have been left at 1000mm/s. I will likely find completely different values before the printers start shipping as I still have some more pulley sizes I’d like to try. I am using GT2 2mm and 3mm for testing. 2mm is the winner so far, anticipate that being the final choice.

The twin motor setup was decided on to save cost and make sure there were no power or binding issues. I toyed with the idea of transferring the power across to the opposite side with a shaft but it’s prohibitively expensive. It’s at least 5 times the cost of just putting another motor, pulley, and belt on there.

I haven’t had the chance to use the new Slic3r but will do so as soon as possible. I’ve been wary of jumping to new versions lately as there have been a lot of dimensional issues with parts between their releases. I’ve purchased the Creator software through the MakerGear website recently and have been testing it as well, so far it’s very efficient and produces some very clean prints. On my FFF printers that is, it should work well for the mUVe 1 too. I’ve talked to the writer of that software and it’s possible that we will do some work together in the future to help bring better slicing operations to these hobbyist level SLA printers.

You’re very welcome on the responses. It’s important to me that people have their questions answered. I think the more people understand the more they will see the potential that I do. There is a lot of room to grow and I really see the second revolution of hobbyist 3D printing coming very soon.