Instead of buying expensive but safe laser protection glass we decided to measure the

Instead of buying expensive but safe laser protection glass we decided to measure the optical density of acryl glass from the DIY shop around the corner.

The result says, that with THIS acryl glass you can safely run diode lasers up to 2.5W and even higher.

Read more [in German]: » Laser Safety

Cool!! You proved what I just have theoreticly derived :wink:

I’d be interested to know if you where to test a large sheet is the protection constant and does it differ from batch?

I got the orange acryl from two different batches. The sheet size was about 500 x 500mm (see link below).

I guess all chinese machines (K40, 3020…) use standard orange acrylic and not the expensive stuff :wink:

K40 are co2 don’t need to be orange. Just helps with the glare.
Plain clear acylic blocks the harmful stuff. :slight_smile: diodes are more complex because the shorter wavelengths vary the material they pass through.

The other thing is to remember the different dammage the different wavelengths can do to your eyes.
Co2 damages the front of the eye and can heal. While the shorter wave lengths pass through straight to the back and bind you instantly.
That said you don’t want either hitting you in the eye. Can’t compromise on saftey :slight_smile:

At least you are on the safe side with OD 4+ in combination with a UV laser diode.

The most important safety feature of you machine is your protective glasses, the machines covers and their interlocks. I hope we are spending as much energy on insuring we have covers and interlocks installed…

This is today’s safety commercial …

@enhydra : Kannst du noch herausfinden was das genau für ein Acrylglas war #1 - #3 (Plexiglas GS, XT,… ?).

@Walter_K_opaque Kann ich versuchen. Verspreche aber nichts. :wink:

In Österreich sind die auch erhältlich:
https://www.hornbach.at/shop/Acrylcolorplatte-3x500x1000-mm-glatt-orange/8055689/artikel.html?varCat=S9623##v8055688
Laut Produktfoto könnten es die gleichen sein!

What would be interesting is to buy a selections of oranges and see how the protection against the lasers wave length varies. Unlikely alot, but be interesting to see.

@Walter_K_opaque Sieht ganz so aus. :slight_smile: