Ingenious construction on the lathe

Years ago, in the days of small children, one of the yellow pegs in our Ingenious game went missing. We found a bit of matchstick to replace it, and with a little yellow marker it became part of the set.

Tonight, a now rather older child and I set down to play Ingenious. Afterwards, I asked about playing another game. “How about modeling the missing peg to print a new one?” It was a bit too small to print well, but I had some ¼" brass stock, and brass is yellow, so down we went to the mini-lathe. I supervised and instructed only. :tada:

Some facing, DRO tricks, turning, filing, chamfering, and parting later and we have a replacement peg in brass. Here an original is flanked by the now-ancient matchstick and the new brass peg.

The harsh light makes the surface look bad in the 7x zoomed-in picture. We could have polished it, but to the eye it looks fine and it was getting late, so we stopped here. That head is 4.4mm across and 2mm thick, for scale.

8 Likes

They did a great job for such a small piece. Some of my fondest memories are of my father teaching me how to use machine shop tools.

2 Likes