In the last days,

In the last days, we experimented a bit with a script to make complex 3D printing (with different layer thicknesses, filling percentages, wall thicknesses) possible, even without expensive 3D software. - Who else did something like that? http://www.fablab-leoben.at/?p=1326

Shouldn’t most slicers be able to change layer height already?

@ChPech It’s about making layers and infill variable throughout the part’s zones. The benefit - it could save some on the printing time, but otherwise, the usefulness for the general public is obscure.

Yes. I thought that would be a normal feature of a slicer. The slicer I use does this since I got it (s3d)

Thus the answer Max is looking for. I’m using Cura exclusively lately. Never saw such an option in it.

Slic3r PE has variable layer height at least.

Bit crude but if it works it works. So you need a separate gcode file for each change (layer thickness, infill percentage, wall thickness, etc.) and you have a post processing script that essentially cuts and splices the files together at specified heights. As @ChPech metioned Simplify3D pretty much has this capability integrated by using multiple processes for a single model but it certainly isn’t free software. And as @Lars_Clausen mentioned Slic3r does have the ability for variable layer heights, at least for single models. This tool could be a really nice feature though if you convert it to a GUI and just use the slicing engine from either Slic3r or Cura. So you’d import the model file and select from predefined profiles for ranges of layers. Just a thought.

Yes, many slicers like Simplify3D have it. Cura, which we use, doesn’t. It’s somewhat crude, but if it helps us doing stuff we couldn’t do otherwise…

Slic3r has it too. A bit hidden you define areas as 3d objct where you can change many settings inside.

We need this to become the standard.

Would certainly help. Until then, we have this script.

Just tested it: It works with different percentages of filling as well. Good.