Improved design for 3D printing ear savers

Faster to print, less plastic used, thus lighter.

Starts with bias tape folders that similarly use less plastic, if you need that.

2 Likes

Here’s the STL for the ear saver. The fusion 360 files are available from the post and available to be modified, but since I wanted to try printing the STL I downloaded it and thought I’d share directly.

fastprint_earsaver.stl (109.1 KB)

I found that prusa-slicer used three layers if I set first layer to 0.3mm and subsequent layers to 0.25mm, but only two layers with my default settings of all layers 0.3mm.

I managed to lay out 16 of them on my 330mm x 330mm bed. I think 14 would be no problem on a 300mm x 300mm bed. Here’s the layout I used for 16 just to show an example:

fastprint_earsaver-16.stl (1.7 MB)

This print was easy, quick, and successful. This is a really good design.

1 Like

A nurse in my neighborhood said that they are wearing scrub caps, so hair tangling isn’t an issue for them. Asked for slightly thicker, and scaling Z only by 200% makes them five layers with 0.3mm layers, so I’m trying that for her next. She says that she expects the thicker ear savers to be gentler on the mask loops; apparently the edges of the thin ear savers sometimes frayed the mask loops and masks are being reused.

The thicker ear savers must be lasting and working well without breaking. I asked for the opportunity to make more when they ran out, and I haven’t heard back from her over two weeks later. Now I’m printing more for others. I’ve standardized on the 5-layer, 200% Z size, 1.5mm thick versions. They are about 2g each.