I'm trying to use FastLED with Arduino 1.5.4 on an Ubuntu 12.04 system.

fastled-support
gplus
(William Dudley) #1

I’m trying to use FastLED with Arduino 1.5.4 on an Ubuntu 12.04 system. After installing FastLED to libraries directory, if I start the arduino IDE, I get this:
./arduino
Invalid library found in /home/dud/embedded/arduino-1.5.4/libraries/FastLED: Missing ‘core-dependencies’ from library
Invalid library found in /home/dud/embedded/arduino-1.5.4/libraries/FastLED: Missing ‘core-dependencies’ from library

What does that mean? A google search turns up NOTHING, but I cannot believe I am the only person on earth to ever see this message.

Thanks,
Bill Dudley
retired embedded developer

(Daniel Garcia) #2

Weird - I don’t think i’ve ever seen that before. Also - 1.5.4 is about two years old, can you try 1.6.5?

(William Dudley) #3

Works in 1.6.5. I was just trying to avoid having to do all the work to move all my code to 1.6.5.
I guess I’ll just slowly migrate to 1.6.5.

Thanks,
Bill

(PaulStoffregen) #4

what’s so hard about migrating from 1.5.4 to 1.6.5?

(William Dudley) #5

When I’ve migrated to new versions in the past, there have always been changes that broke code.
I sent some code developed with 1.5.4 to a couple of folks, and both say it won’t compile under 1.6.5.
I haven’t looked into those problems yet, but I guess I’ll have to eventually get to it.

Bill

(Daniel Garcia) #6

It was a bunch of work to get the library working well under 1.6.5, but given the number of platforms that I have to test against, I can’t increase that multiple times over by also testing against 2+ year old builds of Arduino.

(Also, I don’t think I ever tested against 1.5.4 - I think 1.5.6 was the first 1.5.x that I tested against, but I could be misremembering)

(William Dudley) #7

I understand and I’m grateful for the work you’ve done. Thanks.