I'm trying to use FastLED with Arduino 1.5.4 on an Ubuntu 12.04 system.

I’m trying to use FastLED with Arduino 1.5.4 on an Ubuntu 12.04 system. After installing FastLED to libraries directory, if I start the arduino IDE, I get this:
./arduino
Invalid library found in /home/dud/embedded/arduino-1.5.4/libraries/FastLED: Missing ‘core-dependencies’ from library
Invalid library found in /home/dud/embedded/arduino-1.5.4/libraries/FastLED: Missing ‘core-dependencies’ from library

What does that mean? A google search turns up NOTHING, but I cannot believe I am the only person on earth to ever see this message.

Thanks,
Bill Dudley
retired embedded developer

Weird - I don’t think i’ve ever seen that before. Also - 1.5.4 is about two years old, can you try 1.6.5?

Works in 1.6.5. I was just trying to avoid having to do all the work to move all my code to 1.6.5.
I guess I’ll just slowly migrate to 1.6.5.

Thanks,
Bill

what’s so hard about migrating from 1.5.4 to 1.6.5?

When I’ve migrated to new versions in the past, there have always been changes that broke code.
I sent some code developed with 1.5.4 to a couple of folks, and both say it won’t compile under 1.6.5.
I haven’t looked into those problems yet, but I guess I’ll have to eventually get to it.

Bill

It was a bunch of work to get the library working well under 1.6.5, but given the number of platforms that I have to test against, I can’t increase that multiple times over by also testing against 2+ year old builds of Arduino.

(Also, I don’t think I ever tested against 1.5.4 - I think 1.5.6 was the first 1.5.x that I tested against, but I could be misremembering)

I understand and I’m grateful for the work you’ve done. Thanks.