I'm trying to print parts for Daniel Norée's Formula One racer.

I’m trying to print parts for Daniel Norée’s Formula One racer. Unfortunately, the pieces are coming out a little tight (I’m using a Taz 6). I can’t get the bearings pushed in all the way. If I had design files using OpenSCAD, I’d just make the circle a little bigger, but I don’t. Any suggestions?

What slicer are you using? Cura has a Horizontal expansion setting, that will offset the mesh for such instances.

I’m using Cura. I can’t find the Horizontal expansion setting. Where is it? I’m using version 21.04.

It should be in the shell section. If its not you will need to click the little gear icon next to shell, then under shell check in the box for horizontal expansion.

c27ff68696d1316f9fc5661b19cea42c.png

e8395d0ecb6ad5f555e40d5a607a4cda.png

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

So, I think the issue I might be having is that I’m using the Lulzbot Edition of Cura. Are you familiar with it? I don’t see a window that has such parameters.

Just dowloaded the latest version of Cura Lulzbot edition, and it looks as if its just like the old version of the regular Cura. Which does not have this, and many other functions sadly🙁.

I’m using Cura 2 which does give that option.
Also just an FYI… I found there to be a massive, quality difference in between the old version to Cura2.

3D printing is quite bad in terms of tolerances or sub-millimeter correctness (shrinking, warping, 1st layer, printer step resolutions). My experience: you had to “beautify” the parts afterwards anyway (trim with files, sanding, knife … and I use often an old solder iron to fix issues, to smooth surface or to make holes “perfect”).
It is not an issue with design file, more an issue of: which material used, which printer used, how printer is setup … a differs a lot, with the same STL file …
I have also realized: if very small details - the slicer might optimize a bit “strange” (e.g. sometimes it removes details or it rounds to other thickness). So, the nozzle diameter, layer heights in printer settings can generate different results, even with the same STL file. Fixing the design does not help so much.

BTW: I had to trim all the time the parts after printing (tolerances are very bad). If you want to modify the design - Google ScatchUp can load the STL file (import). I can modify and adjust the design (just looking a bit strange, so many strange nets, I delete most of them or clean before changing). Please, check if your 3D design tool (OpenSCAD ?) can import or open the STL files. Then you are good to go.

A little late to this one, and if you got your answer or figured it out, then cool! But I just finished printing the F1 model on my Taz 6 as well, using their Cura, 21.08 I think. Bearings were tight but went in with a little squeeze from some pliers and a sack with a hammer on a block of wood. I also had to file down the M3 nut inserts as well as use a punch to drive the nuts in place.

What filament are you printing with? Temp? Don’t print too hot nor too cold, and the type of filament can absolutely affect tolerances. I noticed that Algix3D APLA, which I love, prints with tighter tolerances than eSun PLA+. Make sure your diameter is set correctly and I usually have the extrusion at 95% for mine. I also noticed that a heavy first layer can affect the tolerances. Maybe adjust them from the standard .425 first layer and 125-150% first layer width that Lulzbot has set standard. And finally make sure your nozzle is the correct distance from the bed and your esteps are good.