I'm not sure where to start this but hopefully someone will have some insight

I’m not sure where to start this but hopefully someone will have some insight here. I have TinyG 440.18 and SPJS 1.86. The problem is with random motor stalling. I have adjusted the settings so it can run fine for hours. Then at a random time one axis will stop for a small time. Obviously this causes the job to need to be reset or ruined. I swapped motors around and same issue - totally random. I happens on G0 moves only as they are higher speed. I turned the max velocity all the way down to 25 ipm and still happens. I reset all the mechanics to make sure there is no stiff spots. So is it the TinyG drivers? Chillipepper? The Steppers? Any ideas?

Individual motor stalling could be caused by thermal shutdown of the tinyG driver device. The device itself has a monitor and self-protection circuit. This does not sound like Chilipeppr issue. The list of questions could be very long, start here
Motors - NEMA 17 or 23?
Onboard or external drivers?
What power Supply to tinyG - 24V or other?
Have you adjusted current pots on tinyG?
Cooling Fan for tinyG?
What sort of machine? (belt, screw, etc.)
Finger test - steppers warm/hot when this occurs?
Finger test - drivers warm/hot when this occurs?
About the job:
How long does job run before this randomly occurs (seconds, minutes, 10s of minutes)?
Is one axis affected more than others? (X,Y,Z)
Do you have any CP special features running (speed enhancement, macros, etc)?
Is this a milling operation, laser, etc?

One way to experiment would be to run the job “in-air”, set zero above the work so all motion is performed, but not load applied by the machine other than moving the spindle and gantry

Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply. Here is my response
Motors - NEMA 17 or 23? - 23
Onboard or external drivers? - Onboard
What power Supply to tinyG - 24V or other? - 24V
Have you adjusted current pots on tinyG? - Yes. I can run it all over in Jog fast and slow
Cooling Fan for tinyG? - Yes
What sort of machine? (belt, screw, etc.) - Screw on all Axis. 8 mm ACME
Finger test - steppers warm/hot when this occurs? - No all are cool
Finger test - drivers warm/hot when this occurs? - No all are cool
About the job:
How long does job run before this randomly occurs (seconds, minutes, 10s of minutes)? - 20 minutes or so
Is one axis affected more than others? (X,Y,Z) - X or Y. Never Z. I swapped motors around and no change to this
Do you have any CP special features running (speed enhancement, macros, etc)? - No
Is this a milling operation, laser, etc? - Milling

I did the job in air and it still did it. That’s why I took the axis apart and checked for a mechanical issue. I’m stumped. I also went back to 1.80 of SPJS and no change.
As a side question - why does the machine still go very fast even if I set the velocity way down to like 25ipm? If I look at the velocity in Chillipepper it shows like 300 if I do a long jog even after I set velocity on all axis to 25. It is on those long fast moves it does this mostly.
Sorry this is winded. So possibly electrical noise or just a faulty driver or stepper?
Thanks

@Tony_S Something is not right.
How did you "set the velocity way down to like 25ipm " ?

Post your settings (a $$ parameter dump) to a cloud file (Dropbox, etc.) and post a link.

Maybe this will save you some effort - what firmware version are you running on tinyG?
If not $fb=440.20, upgrade and try that first.
BTW, upgrading FW will wipe all your settings, so make sure you have a copy of $$ dump handy.

OK Ill upgrade tonight. I set the Axis velocity from the set up wizard in chillipepper. I can also try to set it from Coolterm manually.

@Tony_S I would avoid trying the configuretinyG widget (I assume that is what you mean), it has not been able to keep up with recent parameter additions ( a new version is in the works). Use CoolTerm or the CP Serial Port console (lower left of CP Tab) to make your mods 1 parameter at a time. Highly recommended - enter parameters in MM mode, not inch

Everything went well. Im running a lot today so it will tell me for sure. Im thinking if it works today then maybe something got corrupted from using the tinyGwidget. Now the max velocity seems to work. Thanks for your help.