I'm looking to get a new machine, but not sure which one to get.

I’m looking to get a new machine, but not sure which one to get. I’m fed up with my Printrbot Jr. Here are my requirements:

Less than $1500
Printing area of 180 x 180 x 180mm or larger
Uses 1.75mm filament (I still have 6 nearly full spools of it)
If possible, has a wait time of less than a month

Thanks for any input you may have!

build yourself prusa i3 failing that for a challenge build a Rostock

Ultimaker or Mendel90

Type-A is a nice machine.

You have only two serious options nowadays. Prusa i3 or Rostock.

@Jiri_Pech how are those the only options ?

It sounds like the OP is looking for a complete machine and not a kit. Is that true?

Either a complete machine or a very straightforward kit, yes.

If John cant stand his jr then a rostock or even an i3 will be just buckets of fun. I think a prebuilt makergear m2 is the next best at $1700 although the bukobot or ultimaker would both be good machines for entirely different reasons.

Haha, I detect just a tiny bit of sarcasm from you regarding the Rostock and i3 @Brian_Evans :slight_smile:

if uve seen the mendel90 (by a nophead) … its cheap … and effective :stuck_out_tongue:

Bukobot or Ultimaker

@John_Schneider No not at all. Ok, that was sarcasm too. Another option is the Lulzbot AO101 for about $1700 assembled. Not a huge fan of their hotend in theory but they made some improvements to it recently. Overall the machine is the most standard in many respects as a prebuilt machine with the horizontal x, wades style extruder, etc. They also do a good job supporting open hardware. The 90 is a bit of a connoisseur’s machine… it seems amazing and you just cant argue with nophead but some things seem a little nonstandard about it like the ribbon cables and little dsub connectors everywhere.

Out of curiosity what about the JR are you fed up with @John_Schneider ?

Agree with @Brian_Evans with the Lulzbot recommendation.

The big thing holding me back on the Lulzbot is the height limitation. It really puts a damper on making cool vases and stuff.

Our next bukobot version will have a 1.75mm option. Unfortunately the wait maybe longer than a month right now.

You could do a Mendel max 1.5 or 2.0 in that range.

@Diego_Porqueras_Deez , how much longer than a month wait do you think it’ll be? I was strongly considering the bukobot, but then discarded the notion after noticing it was only 3mm.

Leapfrog for hassle free large format. And they answer phone when you call like a real company.