I'm about to finish my F1 build,

I’m about to finish my F1 build, but I am not sure how to mount the spur gear. Should the gear face the body or the wheel? This picture is a snippet from one of the videos of the openRC F1 car and here the gear is facing the wheel. According to the Build With Me series, it should be the other way around.
And should the gear be glued to the axle? My gear can slide across the axle because it has a little bit of play.

The “sleeve” is meant to be towards the wheel. You can check out the video series on my YouTube channel for more info on the assembly. Just follow the link to the instructable in the pinned post above.

For me it works Both ways… So i AM courius as well on how it “Officialy” intended. No glue on my F1 car.

@Daniel_Noree Thanks for a quick reply. I have seen all the videos, that’s why I was a bit surprised to see some builds the other way around. Anyway, it seems to be working! Almost done… Eagerly awaiting part 8 in the series on how to mount the electronics :slight_smile:

@Daniel_Noree Just noticed that the rear axle assembly PDF might cause the same confusion. But hey, I’m still impressed by the fantastic job you’ve done. My next project: OpenRC Truggy :slight_smile:

65a8419f741b670a2820c4d1d33dbe05.png

@Steve_L My car (the orange/black one above) was printed completely in PLA/PHA from ColorFabb. Hence the stickers on the car :slight_smile: But I might change the gears with something more durable if these wear out quickly. Time will tell!

I have built two of them and I always turned it to the wheel like on your picture. But just try which way it fits best for you.

@Michael_G I’ve mounted it the other way. That way I can press the other smaller gear further along the motor shaft. See my previous picture of the black/orange car. But hey, I guess you’re right. As long as it works :slight_smile: Happy racing! Mine will have its first drive somewhere this weekend… Fingers crossed…

Yeah that’s important, have fun with it :slight_smile:

Hi @Herman_Post , this is my video and you shouldn’t follow my build at all. I havent put my smal spur gear close enough and my motor isn’t attached the best way, so all my fittings at the rear end is not to follow visible. I’d say go with @Daniel_Noree and his videos. You could also download the assembly and see how it’s put together. Enjoy your racing!

Hi @Anton_Mansson , Thanks for explaining! Nice build btw. And keep up the good vids on YouTube. I’ll be watching :slight_smile: