If you.are looking for a powerfull diode laser follow this interesting post on FB

If you.are looking for a powerfull diode laser follow this interesting post on FB by @Robots_Everywhere ​.

SHAMELESS PLUG: If you would like a 8W laser module, they are available now; email me directly at mkb@robots-everywhere.com or message me on FB. The only problem is that since they don’t yet have the tilt switch, you will have to sign a waiver indicating that you understand that they aren’t FDA compliant yet (The next batch will be, but I don’t want to throw out the test PCBs!).

The price for these is $295 plus shipping. Included: one pair of safety goggles, one laser module, optionally one PWM adapter connector if your 3d printer has a low-side PWM output (fan pins on a Marlin board for example).

There is a 48 hour lead time, and the laser diode will have been run for a few hours during testing, this is done to reduce the chance of a DOA module.

Just wondering, in this price range, could you explain the real advantages of a diode laser? With a just few extra dollars, you could buy a K40.
You do not mention the wavelength. I guess it is in the visible range, given the power of 8W are there any advantages to the wavelength in the types of materials that can be cut?

@Kire_Pudsje ​ having a diode laser has some advantages over CO2 both technical and TCO as to maintain.

Regarding this actual development let’s see if @Robots_Everywhere ​ can chime in

What are the capabilities of this new 8W unit - what can it cut/engrave, etc? Also, any technical docs available on this new laser yet? I’m considering a laser upgrade at some point from my Eleks Maker A5 500mW paper-scorcher, but I don’t know what would be required to get to full PWM control. Thanks.

I guess I need to start saving up for this for an addition to the shapeoko 2.