I’ve done some preliminary sketch ups of my led layout for the icosahedron.

I’ve done some preliminary sketch ups of my led layout for the icosahedron. I have decided that having 10 parallel strips of 72 leds divided into 3 sub sets of 24 leds would give me the versatility of being able to address each strip by itself or each sub set by itself. However, since it’s a 3D icosahedron, there are 12 vertices with 5 strips either going out of or coming into each individual vertex. If I want to be able to have an animation that traverses the icosahedron, choosing a random strip to travel down once it reaches a vertex, how would I do that? Should I have a lookup table or pointer array for each vertex? I’m just not really sure how I should go about thinking about the code.

Also, I will eventually use the OCTOWS2811 shield for the teensy but I’m not at that point yet. I’m still in the rough prototype design process and will streamline everything later. Below i have included some rough sketches and notes about the layout of the leds and what I want them to do. If you have any questions regarding clarity or you can’t read my handwriting please ask!

You seem nicely on your way with this. I reviewed that written sheet and you stated… ‘Also, I will eventually use the OCTOWS2811 shield for the teensy but I’m not at that point yet’…

Before you worry about how to wire things up for the purpose of easier animations, I think you must decide that in advance, not later.

If you opt for the Teensy/OCTOWS2811, you must be aware that you only have 8 lines of parallel output available to you. It does not make sense to split your 30 edges into 10 strips here… therefore you would ideally split your 30 edges of 24 LEDs into 7 strips covering 4 edges (for 28 edges) and the last 2 edges on the 8th available pin.

@JP_Roy I was under the impression that the OCTOWS2811 gave you 16 lines of parallel output. The reason I wanted to set it up as 10 strips of 3 is because it gave me the most symmetrical layout for the icosahedron. That just makes my life easier since i am not a very experienced programmer. I recently picked a computer science minor and I am taking a c++ course right now so I’m getting better, but there is still a lot I have to learn. Thank you for your input so far, JP!

@Will_Norton Definitely only 8 pins on the OCTO (it’s in the name :wink: I am glad to help, and many others on this forum, if you have any more questions.

Haha makes sense. I must have been thinking about a different MCU…

@Will_Norton I believe you’re thinking of the ESP32 for 16 way parallel output.

@Will_Norton Btw, when I looked at the top of your paper and saw “[x][y] matrix layout”, the first thing that came to my mind was Have you considered [x][y][z] 3D mapping it?

Have a peak at the 3D mapping @Jason_Coon did for his Christmas tree. Seems you could do something fairly similar for an icosahedron.
https://www.evilgeniuslabs.org/tree-v2.html

@marmil this was something I thought about but I wasn’t even sure if something like that existed until now. I will read up on this. Thank you.

@Will_Norton did you see this FastLED functionality?
https://plus.google.com/102282558639672545743/posts/a3VeZVhRnqG
I think - this may helps you.

here you can find one more example: