I used Lockblock connectors to print a puzzle with some complex parts which saved

I used Lockblock connectors to print a puzzle with some complex parts which saved having to print with support turned on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEMM5yxYf5g

I really like the idea of creating mechanical connectors for splitting up complex models rather than support, but i wish there were a more automated way of doing it (a ‘splitting’ tool that could attempt to auto-generate connecting surfaces or something like that). Admittedly, that’s not so easy to do.

What was your process for adding the connectors to the design Did you just edit the actual meshes?

Yes, I’m afraid so.
I’m still much quicker at mesh editing in Blender than I am at writing OpenSCAD scripts.

im curious … does blender export printable errr … files?

I use Blender for printing all the time. Use ‘Export STL’ to get objects that can be sent directly to your slicing software.
I also occasionallly use Netfabb and Meshlab as tools for fixing STL errors, but once you have learned to edit meshes by hand, that can be the most reliable way of getting printable parts.