I think this is discussion rather than support.

I think this is discussion rather than support. Once again I discover that I don’t know how much I don’t know.

I converted my cabling system to stop the cross talk problem (and thanks again for explaining). The new issue is that on 2 of my 8 neopixel strips, off is not off. Using either the pot that controls brightness (set to zero) or software to set the color to Black, the strips have a low level glow on the blue LED channel. On the other 6 it works fine - off is off. I’m running on an arduino mega, and the two problem pins involved are 43 and 47.

The problem does not occur using the same physical system and software based on the adafruit library for the same functionality. Obviously the code is different, so a bug is entirely possible. However, the problem is eliminated running my FastLED version but using different pins.

So I have a couple of questions. Is there anything special about those two pins (in general)? If something is wrong with the pins, why would it show up running FastLED, but not running the adafruit version?

You cannot use those pins for ws2811 style LEDs with fastled on the mega - see https://github.com/FastLED/FastLED/wiki/Platform-limitations

(The amount of work it would take to support the high pins on there is more than I have time for right now)

Ah. Thanks, Daniel. As I said, I don’t know how much I don’t know. I will switch to lower numbered pins and proceed.

Hi @Paul_Guthrie ,
Daniel and I had a few chats about this very issue… for more details just go into the Githubs closed issues # 155 and #156 !!

Regards, to a fellow MEGA user !

Thanks @JP_Roy . That table in the discussion under issue #156 probably saved me a good deal of frustration from seeing the problem come and go as I blindly changed pins. Don’t have to do that now.

@Paul_Guthrie Ahhh… was hoping that would be useful !